Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Chris Herring

Default YellowGroove bamboo in a planter

More newbie questions.. My neighbor has offered me some bamboo (which I
thought was kind of funny, because it is already sending rhizomes all over
the place in my yard . Neither of us is certain what kind it is, but I am
leaning towards yellowgroove bamboo, which is one of the more common in our
area. I have been contemplating planting bamboo as a screen on the opposite
side of my house for some time. In a thread on another NG, the subject of
planting bamboos in planters came up, which got me thinking.. As it happens,
I have a huge pile of 6"x6" pressure treated wood (from a retaining wall)
that needs a new application. Would a large running bamboo be happy in a
planter, with dimensions of, say, 1.5 feet deep by 2 feet wide (inside) by
30 feet long? I would line the planter with a rhizome barrier. I am
attracted to the idea of a planter because it will make the bamboo easier to
contain, without having to worry about interfering with the root system of a
couple of large oaks to install a barrier. Will my bamboo be happy? Are
those dimensions (1.5 deep by 2 wide) reasonable?

Regards,

Chris Herring

Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Bob Johannessen

Chris Herring wrote:
[...]

Chris,

This sounds good except deeper is much better. The rhizome will
generally be within the top foot of the dirt, but the bamboo will be
much happier with more depth so it can have more volume for the true
roots to spread out. You need not put rhizome barrier against the sides
since the rhizome will emerge from between the timbers where you will
see it and be able to cut them off.

I recommend you drill holes vertically through the ends of the pressure
treated timbers and put rebar through them (and down into the ground) to
keep the timbers in place. It will be quite strong and stay in line if
you make the gap between timbers on one row at a different place than
the higher and lower rows, like what is usually done with brick walls.
The rebar can be removed and the box dismantled should you desire to
divide the bamboo.

Lastly, never eat any bamboo shoots that have been grown near pressure
treated woood since the CCA (cadmium chromium arsenate) leaches into the
soil and all three are poisonous to people.

Regards,

Bob

Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Chris

"Chris Herring" wrote in message ...
[...]

Should be ok in a planter, just make sure you put a bottom on it
otherwise it will only be an elevated planting. It will grow into the
ground and run like mad. Bamboo isn't effected by depth like other
plants, it won't be smothered.

Chris
Chino,CA
Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
mullens

Chris Herring wrote:

[...]

The bamboo I have in 3' x 9" x 9" containers is regularily blown over even when
it is placed up against a wall. You will also need to water it every day in hot
spells.