Old 22-08-2003, 06:04 AM
Ken

Default Arrow bamboo screen

Can any experts out there help?

I am planning on putting up a screen at the side of my house using
arrow bamboo but despite looking on the web for a couple of hours I
haven't managed to find out -

1. how deep the roots need to grow in order to reach 4-5m height (the
plants will be in a confined brick trough).
2. I would like near complete screening of light - what depth of
plantation would buy me this? and what density do I need to plant the
shoots?
3. Where can I get and at what height should the plants be to get
established quickly (say in 1-2 years)?
4. I have (approx) a 5m "strip" of screen to grow - what quantity of
plants should I budget for?
5. I understand that my screening could be jeopardised if the plants
flower - how often is this likely to happen and how severe is the die
back?

Any feedback/advice would be great.

thanks

Ken
Old 22-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Travis

Ken wrote:
Can any experts out there help?

I am planning on putting up a screen at the side of my house
using arrow bamboo but despite looking on the web for a couple
of hours I haven't managed to find out -

1. how deep the roots need to grow in order to reach 4-5m
height (the plants will be in a confined brick trough).
2. I would like near complete screening of light - what depth of
plantation would buy me this? and what density do I need to
plant the shoots?
3. Where can I get and at what height should the plants be to
get established quickly (say in 1-2 years)?
4. I have (approx) a 5m "strip" of screen to grow - what
quantity of plants should I budget for?
5. I understand that my screening could be jeopardised if the
plants flower - how often is this likely to happen and how
severe is the die back?

Any feedback/advice would be great.

I would go here http://www.topica.com/lists/BambooGrove join and ask
your question there.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 22-08-2003, 09:04 AM
Chris

(Ken) wrote in message m...
[...]

http://www.endangeredspecies.com/Bam...ons/Ps/PSJ.htm

Flowering is not uncommon in Pseudosasa Japonica and normally has no
effects on the plant.

Pseudosasa Japonica (Arrow Bamboo) is invasive (depending on your
climate either very invasive or not so bad, the warmer the more
invasive). I wouldn't worry about buying too much. Treat the plants
right and the next thing you know it is everywhere ;-) Make sure
there are barriers around your planting area. I have seen Arrow
bamboo grow under sidewalks and pop up in the miniscule gap where a
phone pole pokes through the cement.

I would plant on 5 foot centers and then gauge how it is growing in
your area. You may want to fill in some gaps if it spreads too slow
for you. Also, check in your area. You want to make sure it will
grow in your climate. You don't want to spend good money on a plant
to have it die and I've seen bamboo die on the way home... from
healthy green to brown and dead in a matter of 45 minutes.

Good Luck!

Chris
Chino, CA
Old 22-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Ken

(Chris) wrote in message . com...
(Ken) wrote in message m...
[...]

Thanks for the feedback. http://www.endangeredspecies.com is a great
site and I've since spotted a couple of other candidates. I'm actually
based in the UK so weather is (typically) damp/overcast etc but not
too cold or too hot - overal the climate should be ok but I don't
expect any record breaking growth rates. I'm still not sure about
preventing spread so if anyone else reads this and has any advice....

cheers

Ken
Old 13-08-2006, 12:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

"Travis" wrote in news:g8j1b.23922
:

http://www.topica.com/lists/BambooGrove

One small problem with Topica: They "reserve" the right to sell your email
to advertisers. A/k/a, don't sign up with an e-mail address that you want
to keep spam-free.

Old 14-08-2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

"Inquisitor" wrote in message
. 97.142
"Travis" wrote in
news:g8j1b.23922 :

http://www.topica.com/lists/BambooGrove

One small problem with Topica: They "reserve" the right to
sell
your email to advertisers. A/k/a, don't sign up with an e-mail
address that you want to keep spam-free.

That may be true but I get maybe 1 or 2 spams a month.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

bamboo as a screen-anyone tried it? mrs-baggins United Kingdom 20 27-03-2006 05:56 PM
Arrow 10X13 steel shed Ed Lawns 1 18-03-2006 03:25 AM
Bamboo as a low screen Smith-Jones Bamboo 0 18-09-2005 12:34 AM
POOL SCREEN AVAILABLE HERE (LANAI SCREEN POOL CAGE ) The Poolscreen Guy Lawns 2 13-10-2004 02:06 AM
transplanted Arrow Ray Bamboo 2 19-05-2004 06:10 PM