Old 28-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Brian Barnson

Default Bamboo ID

Hi
There's a nursery here that has a large wholesale area (40 acres) and
they will let
customers wander around in it weekends and holidays when there's no
activity.
There's also nobody to pester with questions and the retail folks don't know
that
much about the wholesale area, which leads to this question. They have
about
8 different bamboos, one of which has alternating dark/light segments of the
culm, dark like nigra and light like Golden Bamboo. I've been scouring the
internet pile of pictures and haven't found it. Any ideas? I'm on
Vancouver
Island.
Brian, in Cedar

Old 28-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Travis

Brian Barnson wrote:
Hi
There's a nursery here that has a large wholesale area (40
acres) and they will let
customers wander around in it weekends and holidays when
there's no activity.
There's also nobody to pester with questions and the retail
folks don't know that
much about the wholesale area, which leads to this question.
They have about
8 different bamboos, one of which has alternating dark/light
segments of the culm, dark like nigra and light like Golden
Bamboo. I've been scouring the internet pile of pictures and
haven't found it. Any ideas? I'm on Vancouver
Island.
Brian, in
Cedar

It might be P. nigra 'Bory'.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 28-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Brian Barnson

"Travis" wrote in message
Brian Barnson wrote:
Hi
There's a nursery here that has a large wholesale area (40
acres) and they will let
customers wander around in it weekends and holidays when
there's no activity.
There's also nobody to pester with questions and the retail
folks don't know that
much about the wholesale area, which leads to this question.
They have about
8 different bamboos, one of which has alternating dark/light
segments of the culm, dark like nigra and light like Golden
Bamboo. I've been scouring the internet pile of pictures and
haven't found it. Any ideas? I'm on Vancouver
Island.
Brian, in
Cedar

It might be P. nigra 'Bory'.

It doesn't look like any of the "Bory" pictures I've been able to find.
It
looks like someone assembled one new bamboo out of 2 different ones and
staggered the segments. I may have to go back with a camera.
Brian, in Cedar

Old 28-10-2003, 11:02 PM
hermine stover

Brian, in
Cedar

It might be P. nigra 'Bory'.

Bory has maroon splotches on a yellow background. i sure wish i could
see a picture of this!

hermine
Old 28-10-2003, 11:22 PM
hermine stover

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:34:42 GMT, "Brian Barnson"
wrote:
They have
about
8 different bamboos, one of which has alternating dark/light segments of the
culm, dark like nigra and light like Golden Bamboo. I've been scouring the
internet pile of pictures and haven't found it. Any ideas? I'm on
Vancouver
Island.
Brian, in Cedar

what colours are the alternating ones, are they green and yellow? is
there a groove running the long way, which is one colour, and the rest
of the segment, the OTHER colour?

hermine

Old 29-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Brian Barnson

wrote:
They have
about
8 different bamboos, one of which has alternating dark/light segments of

the
culm, dark like nigra and light like Golden Bamboo. I've been scouring

the
internet pile of pictures and haven't found it. Any ideas? I'm on
Vancouver
Island.
Brian, in Cedar

what colours are the alternating ones, are they green and yellow? is
there a groove running the long way, which is one colour, and the rest
of the segment, the OTHER colour?

hermine

I'll have to go back with a camera, maybe this weekend. My memory is
more black and yellow, didn't notice a groove but I was a bit overwhelmed
by 40 acres of garden. I bought my first bamboo today, a Sasaella
masamuneana, either albostriata or aureostriata, they weren't sure and
it was the end of the season sale at a different nursery.
Brian, in Cedar

Old 29-10-2003, 01:32 AM
hermine stover

I'll have to go back with a camera, maybe this weekend. My memory is
more black and yellow, didn't notice a groove but I was a bit overwhelmed
by 40 acres of garden. I bought my first bamboo today, a Sasaella
masamuneana, either albostriata or aureostriata, they weren't sure and
it was the end of the season sale at a different nursery.
Brian, in Cedar

this is one of the most glorious of the dwarf bamboos, a personal
favourite, it grows wonderfully even in full sun without burning, and
the better you treat it, the more variegation it will give you. it is
probably aureostriata. This plant was introduced by an old friend, and
from a few tiny stems, became a multitude.
Am very interested in that bamboo you saw, if you tell me the name of
the nursery, we probably know the people and can just ask them!

hermine
Old 29-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Jason Pope

Brian Barnson wrote:
Hi
There's a nursery here that has a large wholesale area (40 acres) and
they will let
customers wander around in it weekends and holidays when there's no
activity.
There's also nobody to pester with questions and the retail folks don't know
that
much about the wholesale area, which leads to this question. They have
about
8 different bamboos, one of which has alternating dark/light segments of the
culm, dark like nigra and light like Golden Bamboo. I've been scouring the
internet pile of pictures and haven't found it. Any ideas? I'm on
Vancouver
Island.
Brian, in Cedar

Sounds a bit like P. aurea Spectabillis

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Old 29-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Brian Barnson

"Jason Pope" wrote in message
Brian Barnson wrote:
[...]

You might be right, the second photo on Bamboo Worlds' page
http://www.bambooworld.com/picturepa...pectabilis.htm
is pretty close to what I remember, not the middle bit but the culms
over on the right side. I'll go back Saturday with a camera, the weather
is expected to be sunny after our first frost (-1) Friday night.
Brian, in Cedar

Old 29-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Brian Barnson

Am very interested in that bamboo you saw, if you tell me the name of
the nursery, we probably know the people and can just ask them!

hermine

Green Thumb, in Nanaimo. See my response to Jason
for possible ID.
Brian, in Cedar

Old 29-10-2003, 04:42 PM
hermine stover

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:10:20 GMT, "Brian Barnson"
wrote:

Am very interested in that bamboo you saw, if you tell me the name of
the nursery, we probably know the people and can just ask them!

hermine

Green Thumb, in Nanaimo. See my response to Jason
for possible ID.
Brian, in Cedar

the style of variegation you describe, IF i picture it correctly, is
sometimes called "nabeshima" in Japan. I am very interested to see
your plant, spectabilis is a good one, but i wonder if you do not have
something a bit MORE spectacular. there is a bamboo cultivar called
'koi' which is another possibility.

herm

Hello fellow bamboo lovers! I have a question about my bamboo patch RiverMan Bamboo 9 27-04-2011 06:42 AM
Dying black bamboo ramyad Bamboo 4 27-04-2009 10:13 PM
Looking for Simon Henderson (formerly of BAMBOO PEOPLE) - Bamboo agroforestry researcher Jo?o Paulo Freire Paglione Bamboo 0 02-11-2003 05:32 PM
Bamboo wanted. Have Black bamboo and "Alphonse Karr" Annabel United Kingdom 2 12-06-2003 03:56 AM
Bamboo root depth and drought - was: Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida Rick DeBay Bamboo 1 13-03-2003 05:33 PM