Old 16-11-2003, 04:42 AM
hermine stover

Default Hermine & Bamboo

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:14:15 GMT, Bob Johannessen
wrote:

All,

I generally am a lurker on email groups and Usenet newsgroups but I
decided it's time to add my 2 cents regarding certain discussions being
held in both arenas. I do not know either person, just what I have read
via the Internet, so I think I can be considered relatively impartial.

Hermine often adds content of interest to everyone who cares about bamboo.

Well, bamboo is VERY INTERSESTING! and has been since my childhood.
Which might seem strange since i grew up in a rear 3rd floor brooklyn
apartment, some 3 blocks from the Atantic ocean.
the first bamboo i saw, was a long piece around which a RUG came
rolled. we stored this on the fire escape for a very great while,
because there was no place to put it in the house. My father was a
deep sea fishermen, out of Sheeepshead Bay, into th Atlantic, and had
these INCREDIBLE fishing poles, made of split bamboo. this looks
nothing like raw bamboo, in section it is made up of something like
precisely cut hexagonal pie slices, the gues for the fishing line were
made of nickel silver, lined with agate rings, and held in place by
BRILLIANT coloured silk windings, the whole thing then spar varnished
like glass. hard to describe why it has to be bamboo,, but it has a
certain flex, and "action" which makes it unique, and only relatively
recently was it displaced by fiber glass. i think for some kinds of
fly fishing it is held to be unsurpassed. Hoagy Carmichael Jr, son of
the MAN, makes split bamboo fishing rods, he was mentioned in the
National Geographic bamboo article some 15 years ago.

And my uncle, who joined up in the military in WW2 by faking his age
by a year or so, brought back from all over asia, THINGS made of
bamboo which were given to me when i got older, since nobody wanted to
throw them out, and amazingly nobody else in the family wanted them.
necklaces of intricate beads made of smoked, hard bamboo, fans,
pierced carved, no paper, just bamboo sections.

As soon as i had a real outdoor garden, when i was about thirty, i
started growing bamboo.
at that time there was a guy in California, Ron Fadem, who offered
FIFTEEN kinds of bamboo by mail order. FIFTEEN! i could hardly believe
my good luck!
So i have been interested in bamboo for my entire life, really.

hermine
Old 16-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Beecrofter

I looked around at bamboo and all I ever heard was it's invasive.
Those are my feelings about turfgrass which is a crop for fools.
So I says to myself, self there can't be much to learn about bamboo.
So I read McClure,and then Crouzet, and Meredith, and then Bell and
then Farrelly.
And I can pronounce Phyllostachys out loud now and even kill a few
Fargesias which really resent our summers.
Somewhere along the way I got kind of curious about Japanese gardens
too and then beacame an extension master gardener and I think I got a
scratch into the surface.
You just give me another 50 years and just you look out.
Old 17-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Beecrofter

HERE! have fifty years and fifty more! there is a Zen saying about
painting of bamboo;

If you would paint bamboo, study bamboo for a thousand years, forget
bamboo, then, paint bamboo!

hermine

Go to the pines if you want to learn about the pine, or to the bamboo if
you want to learn about the bamboo. And in doing so, you must leave your
subjective preoccupation with yourself. Otherwise you impose yourself on
the object and do not learn.
Matsuo Basho
17th century