Old 18-12-2003, 02:27 AM
Amberinauburn

Default New bamboo owner

Hello everyone, I went to the Asian market today and they had several
containers with Bamboo in them right inside the front door. Some was curly and
most was straight. I was attracted to it and bought a small straight piece Now
what do I do with it. They told me to just put it in water when I get home. And
I did. Do I need to put anything in the water?
But now what? Can I plant it when it grows roots? Will it grow roots? And then
what, I live in Central Illinois. Is it too cold here for it to grow outside? I
need help with this, any ideas from all you experts out there

Thank you very much

Amber

Old 18-12-2003, 02:27 AM
SamMan

"Amberinauburn" wrote in message
Hello everyone, I went to the Asian market today and they had several
containers with Bamboo in them right inside the front door. Some was curly

and
most was straight. I was attracted to it and bought a small straight piece

Now
what do I do with it. They told me to just put it in water when I get

home. And
I did. Do I need to put anything in the water?
But now what? Can I plant it when it grows roots? Will it grow roots? And

then
what, I live in Central Illinois. Is it too cold here for it to grow

outside? I
need help with this, any ideas from all you experts out there

Thank you very much

Amber

Amber,

What you have is not bamboo. It is actually a Dracaena, a common houseplant.

Sam

Old 18-12-2003, 06:04 AM
Amberinauburn

No it's Bamboo... I'm pretty sure of that..

Amber
Old 18-12-2003, 09:35 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Sorry babe but you've been bamboozled.

The so-called "lucky bamboo" is not a bamboo at all. Its Dracaena
sanderiana.

http://www.lucky-bamboo.com/

http://www.dracaena-sanderiana.com/

Old 18-12-2003, 12:42 PM
SamMan

Please read the second link that Cereoid provided...

--
SamMan
Rip it to reply

Old 20-12-2003, 02:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

I wouldn't bet the ranch on that, Sweetpea, because it most definitely is
NOT a bamboo.

Its Dracaena sanderiana, a flowering shrub and not a an arborescent grass.

Do you own Google search if you don't believe me.

Old 20-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Amberinauburn

OH, I hate to admit it but your right.. Ok I got taken but how do I get real
bamboo?

Amber ( who likes her little new plant anyway)
Old 20-12-2003, 06:13 PM
SamMan

There are many resources for bamboo. I just did a Google search using
"bamboo vendors" and got 22,000 results.

--
SamMan
Rip it to reply

New bamboo owner Amberinauburn Bamboo 2 18-12-2003 02:27 AM
new pond owner questions Deswinds Ponds (alternative) 3 15-08-2003 06:05 AM
new pond owner questions Deswinds Ponds 3 12-08-2003 03:48 PM
new owner of a japanese maple needs help! cbitzer Gardening 1 05-08-2003 11:32 PM
New home owner needs tips or advice on taking care of grass. Please Help!!! TIA!! Daniel Lawns 0 26-06-2003 08:56 PM