Old 05-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Registered User

Location: Suffolk
Default Tender dwarf bamboo

I'm trying to find the name of (and hence how to care for) a minature bamboo purchased last spring by my wife at a nearby garden centre. The label only says its a bamboo and the cultural advice in the form of diagrams suggests full sun to part shade, moderate water and a temperature of 20C. The watering aspect is somewhat contradicted by a diagram saying the pot should stand in a saucer filled with a minimum of 1cm and maximum of 3cm of water.

The plant flourished throughout the summer in this waterlogged state, the foliage being about 20cm high and a few flowers were produced.

However, throughout autumn the foliage has yellowed and is now apparently dead as are the culms. Is it a deciduous species, or annual, or simply been killed by my not adjusting the culture for autumn and winter?
Old 07-01-2004, 03:42 AM
mullens

Most bamboos don't like standing in water at all.

Large bamboos seldom produce flowers, but I don't know about dwarf varieties.

--
Jim McLaren

Old 08-01-2004, 07:18 AM
Registered User

Location: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally posted by mullens

Jim McLaren wrote:

[...]

Yes. I stopped standing it in a saucer of water when it started to die back and I've been keeping it moist since then. I don't feel it would be right to let it completely dry out, but I may be wrong. The culms didn't have the usual woody feel to them, but were more grass-like and annual, so the die back may well be natural.

Many thanks for your reply.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Beecrofter

Try Dracaena sanderiana