Old 21-01-2004, 03:57 PM
A.Pismo Clam

Default Indoor Plant

Which bamboo would make a great looking indoor plant? The room's light
intensity varies greatly, but most of the time it's just enough to keep
the African Voilet blooming. Room faces Northeast. The ceilings are 16'
high.

Alain
--
MZ

Old 26-01-2004, 07:05 PM
robert

I'm a nurserynman from Brisbane - Australia and we have very high levels
naturally, although our day lenght in the subtropics is shorter.. I guess
that you are in the United States, but this is an international forum and so
can be missleading.

My thoughts from only limited varietal experience is that the majority of
Bamboos should not do to well in these levels.

The high light and ceilings will make a huge difference. However the Bamboo
will elongate and polarise thier leaves to the light source, which can be a
pain. The african violet flowering is certainly to do with light intensity
and quality but has a lot to do with day lenght as well. QAll of this can
help the Bamboos though.

I would try some of the broader leafed varieties like Nastus elatus.

Post back what happens, as we all need to know more about this area.

Robert Percy

Old 02-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Chris

"A.Pismo Clam" wrote in message ...
Hi Robert,

We are in Southern California. I will look for some of the broadleaf
species and let you know which one we choose.

Try an Indocalamus Tesselatus. They do well in partial shade and make
a good container plant. Don't put it in your yard unless you want to
chase it!

Good luck!

Chris
Chino,CA