Old 24-01-2004, 12:43 AM
Krister K.

Default Advice on Bamboo: P. Japonica

I'm about to launch myself into the world of bamboo by ordering some
Arrow Bamboo to grow indoors. I've read the indoor growing FAQs on
various sites, including the ABS, but I still have a few questions

I plan on moving in May, but want to get some bamboo started soon.
This will involve transporting the boo in a van, so it can't be more
than four feet high (though it seems that bamboo needs some time to get
established, especially indoors, before it begins to reach height).
Japonica is listed as growing up to eighteen feet high, though indoors
bamboo, I understand, usually grows to only 20-50% of that height.

So, the first question: how likely is it that I'll need to trim /
will see major growth within these first few months (as Spring sets
itself ready)? Second, can I trim bamboo to maintain a certain height
(or will this injure the plant?)? I definitely want, eventually, a
height of six feet or more, but I don't want the move to be any harder
on it that it must be (I must move again a few times before I can settle
down :P).

Also, I read that temperate runners can actually "outgrow" themselves
to death, building faster than they have nutrients to support, always
expecting a hibernation period. I want this grass to grow as best and
as happily as it can indoors, as it gets quite cold outside in this area
(Northern Illinois -- we hit -15 with gusting winds a few weeks ago!
:P). Should I plan on just putting the plant outside during the day, in
a sheltered place, during a few months of the winter, and pull it inside
if it's too cold? And are there any options for inducing a hibernation
in the plant by encouraging moderate growth (cutting new shoots during
the winter, for instance) without requiring outdoor time? I'm just
trying to discover my options..

And, the final question: what sort of initial growth should I expect
from the plant? And how many culms will a 1-gallon root ball produce
within six months? I want to be prepared to take care of this plant
well and provide it with a happy life

Thank you for reading this far!

- Krister

Old 07-07-2007, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Just as an aside, I've seen photos of japonicas flowering on the east
coast. I hope not, but does anyone have info?

g.