Old 09-02-2004, 06:02 PM
mtnwalker

Default establishing large acreage of bamboo-Help!

Two years ago a very large forest fire destroyed my 50 year old 65
acre woodland girdling most trees that were not completely engulfed.
Soil is somewhat shallow, and most has a southern exposure at 1200'
elevation and quite steep. Sprin usually fairly damp, but summers
normally hot and dry. Aprox. 50% of trees (hardwoods) are still alive,
but too badly damaged to make timber harvest.

I would like to seriously consider replanting most or the entire area
to a bamboo species that would yield edible shoots, craft material for
sale, and of a size suitable for building products. Sides are bounded
by creeks and National forest and hay fields, so most likely adopted
to runner variety?

I desperately need help with: 1) feasability-practicality. 2)
varieties suitable. 3) establishment times and proceedure 4)
inexpensive sources of starter stock. 5) long term management. 6) and
anything else I don't know enough to even ask about.

This is a small, family working farm (200 acres), and I am hopeing
that this could work out as a good potential cash crop?

Also, my lower fields border paved roads (aprox. 4,000' with very old
fencing, and would like to consider bordering with clumping bamboo,
perhaps of type and size for fishing poles and crafts etc.

I have spent weeks trying to research this, but could not find
imformation practical to my situation and needs.

Our area of Western North Carolina has a large tourist and therefore
craft industry, and a small farmer needs to make the very best
decision for his land. An important consideration is that I don't
have a lot of money to expend, but if this is really practical, I
would borrow what was necessary.

So as not to waste the remaining live (but damaged) hardwoods, I am
thinking of harvesting for use in raising shitake mushrooms, and the
larger pieces for firewood. Can leave whatever is necessary if the
bamboo would initially need some shade. The mushroom idea is also new,
so any knowledgable help would be most helpful and appreciated.

Please, I can't begin to tell you how much I would appreciate all and
any help with all this.

My very sincere thanks in advance.

PS. I have even thought about a bamboo maze in the lower sevel fields
like those of field corn, but this would be year-round and not require
annual planting. That will have to be down the road a ways though.
Old 26-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered User

Location: China

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwalker View Post

we are bulk bamboo suppliers in China. http://www.88come.com