Old 27-03-2004, 04:08 AM
A.N.Other

Default recommendations for a tall, clumping & non-running bamboo, suitable for Mississauga/Toronto, Can

I am looking for a bamboo to use as a backdrop for my pond
(http://www3.sympatico.ca/b1wmah56/pondpage.htm#General).
I would like a fairly tall, dense variety to act as a screen for the filter
setup that is/will be installed behind and to the left of the pond.
Any suggestions for a non-running bamboo, suitable for Mississauga/Toronto,
Canada.
TIA
ANO

Old 27-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Bert

Default recommendations for a tall, clumping & non-running bamboo, suitable for Mississauga/Toronto,

I don't think there is a clumper you can grow in your climate unless you
could pot it and take it in each winter.

Bert

Old 27-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Darcy Paul

I was in Toronto a couple of years ago and at a bonsai store I was at they
had some bamboo that was growing wild outside the store. Bamboo like other
plants has different verities some will survive in -30 C weather.

Darcy

Old 28-03-2004, 02:02 AM
Mark. Gooley

"A.N.Other" wrote
I am looking for a bamboo to use as a backdrop for my pond
(http://www3.sympatico.ca/b1wmah56/pondpage.htm#General).
I would like a fairly tall, dense variety to act as a screen for the

filter
setup that is/will be installed behind and to the left of the pond.
Any suggestions for a non-running bamboo, suitable for

Mississauga/Toronto,
Canada.

I'd check the American Bamboo Society website and see whether such
a plant even exists. Check the species list and see how much cold the
various types will take. My guess is that you'll likely have to get a
running bamboo and contain it with root barriers (the pond will be one
of them; maybe you could make a sort of peninsula or island for the
bamboo?).

Mark., plenty of such clumpers grow fine here, but I'm in north Florida