Old 14-04-2004, 04:35 AM
Joe C (free agent acct)

Default how to stop rampant bamboo growth

I battled it for years until I found this cure.

when the shoots come in the spring, let them get 8-12" high.
Then get a long metal drill. Break off the shoot and then drill down
the center unti you hit some resistance. Then drill about 1/2"
further. Now pour a teaspoon of Roundup in there - Wham!!!
That will kill the shoot and the root underneath. This works!!!
Joe

Old 16-04-2004, 04:02 AM
Joe C (free agent acct)

Are you kidding? It is a weed like you cannot imagine.....once it
grows, get ready with roundup as it is unstoppable otherwise.
I hear it can destroy septic systems in the area.

Joe

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:47:44 -0400, "Bob Hardy"
wrote:

A lot of us want to know how you got it to grow so well in the first place.

------
Bob

.. .

Old 16-04-2004, 04:32 AM
Bob Johannessen

Think of bamboo as a tall lawn. If you want bamboo to grow well you use
slow-release lawn fertilizer at the recommended dosage and frequency and
water so the ground is evenly moist but not soggy. Just like with your
lawn, watering deeply but infrequently promotes deeper rooting so the
bamboo will be more drought tolerant than if you water frequently.

As for septic systems, tree roots (and various other plants too) are
more likely to damage them than bamboo is. The bamboo rhizome (what
Joe called the root) generally runs horizontally about a foot below
grade. The roots of the bamboo spread out from the rhizome and these
will head toward the septic system as it is a source of fertilizer. But
bamboo roots never get as thick as tree roots can, so they are much less
likely to cause damage. Personally, I think ivy and blackberries are
worse pests than bamboo. Those in the South probably don't like kudzu much.

One last thing. Most plants have a fairly narrow range of soil pH that
they are comfortable with and altering that can kill them. Joe probably
could have poured either vinegar (increasing the acidity) or lye
(increasing the alkalinity) into the holes he drilled and that would
have killed the bamboo just like the Roundup did. Both vinegar and lye
have to be more environmentally friendly as well as cheaper than
Roundup. Take appropriate precautions if you decide to try lye (it will
turn your skin into soap if you get it on you)!

Regards,

Bob

wrote:

A lot of us want to know how you got it to grow so well in the first place.

------
Bob

. ..

Old 17-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Beecrofter

Bob Johannessen wrote in message news:%rHfc.142022$gA5.1698040@attbi_s03...
Actually you could fill the culms with fertilizer or rock salt and
kill the stand that way.
Odds are that if you have enough rainfall to grow the bamboo the salt
won't stick around long enough to be a problem.

Old 17-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Mark. Gooley

"Joe C (free agent acct)" wrote
I battled it for years until I found this cure.

when the shoots come in the spring, let them get 8-12" high.
Then get a long metal drill. Break off the shoot and then drill down
the center unti you hit some resistance. Then drill about 1/2"
further. Now pour a teaspoon of Roundup in there - Wham!!!
That will kill the shoot and the root underneath. This works!!!

I'm told that spraying new shoots with Roundup in the usual way does
much the same thing: dead shoot, dead section of nearby rhizome, but
little chance of killing more than that unless one sprays all the shoots
and culms. My best kills of weeds using Roundup have always been
when I let a weed get big and then spray all of its foliage, so I'd simply
wait until a culm grows to full size and then spray its leaves all over.

Remember that Roundup is eaten swiftly by soil bacteria, so a lot of it
will go to waste if you pour it down holes.

Mark., but whatever works for you

Old 18-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Chris

Just cutting down the shoots as they are about to branch out is enough
to kill the bamboo. Clear cut the grove. As it shoots, let it get to
the point where branches are beginning to emerge and then cut those
shoots out. You will exhaust the stored energy in the rhizomes
quickly and kill the grove. No chemicals, no money, no salt.

With the roundup you are only killing a very tiny portion of the
grove, the grove will isolate that section and continue growing in a
very happy and healthy way.
Old 23-04-2004, 03:06 AM
Joe C (free agent acct)

Easy - planted it in the back yard in a rocky area and just
waited.....Once it starts to grow, get ready as it grows
like crazy - up to 12" per day in active growing season.

bamboo still rampant johngood_____[_3_] United Kingdom 2 30-03-2008 10:06 AM
rampant bluebells chaz United Kingdom 6 30-04-2004 01:05 PM
How to get rid of rampant mint? hkw United Kingdom 11 23-04-2004 11:36 AM
Rampant Strawberries Wilson Lamb North Carolina 5 18-05-2003 02:08 AM
Help Identify a Rampant Mystery Vine? John McGaw Gardening 9 03-04-2003 09:20 PM