Old 06-03-2003, 08:59 PM
Rick DeBay

Default Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida

I have a Japanese rock garden that is backed by a small bamboo in a buried pot.
The landscaper keeps putting in the same variety which obviously isn't shade
tolerant. What variety should I plant for south Florida? BTW, it should also
be drought resistant, able to survive (doesn't have to look good) on under an
inch of water applied once a week (south Florida stage 3 drought restriction).

Thanks, Rick DeBay

Old 07-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Bri

The Fargasias are pretty shade tolerant but I don't know about the
flooding. The Blue fountain bamboo looks very cool and loves shade.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:20 AM
hermine stover

On 6 Mar 2003 11:52:42 -0800, Rick DeBay
wrote:

I have a Japanese rock garden that is backed by a small bamboo in a buried pot.
The landscaper keeps putting in the same variety which obviously isn't shade
tolerant. What variety should I plant for south Florida? BTW, it should also
be drought resistant, able to survive (doesn't have to look good) on under an
inch of water applied once a week (south Florida stage 3 drought restriction).

Thanks, Rick DeBay

On 6 Mar 2003 11:52:42 -0800, in rec.gardens.bamboo you wrote:

I am sorry to say that unless you can create a very well shaded and
moist microclimate and substantial water to the soil, you probably
will not be able to grow most attractive Bamboos in your location.
there really are NO draught-resisant bamboos. perhaps you could
somehow satisfy the need for bamboo with something in a container,
which you keep in a saucer filled with a standing inch or two of
water. in the shade.

Old 08-03-2003, 07:45 AM
Chris

wrote:

I have a Japanese rock garden that is backed by a small bamboo in a buried pot.
The landscaper keeps putting in the same variety which obviously isn't shade
tolerant. What variety should I plant for south Florida? BTW, it should also
be drought resistant, able to survive (doesn't have to look good) on under an
inch of water applied once a week (south Florida stage 3 drought restriction).

I am sorry to say that unless you can create a very well shaded and
moist microclimate and substantial water to the soil, you probably
will not be able to grow most attractive Bamboos in your location.
there really are NO draught-resisant bamboos. perhaps you could
somehow satisfy the need for bamboo with something in a container,
which you keep in a saucer filled with a standing inch or two of
water. in the shade.

Hey Herm, how about SEMIARUNDINARIA FASTUOSA? It is pretty drought
tolerant once you get it established, or Phyllostachys Aurea, they
would fit well in a Japanese garden :-)

Chris
Old 08-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Rick DeBay

In article , Bri says...

Rick DeBay wrote:

I have a Japanese rock garden that is backed by a small bamboo in a buried pot.
The landscaper keeps putting in the same variety which obviously isn't shade
tolerant. What variety should I plant for south Florida? BTW, it should also
be drought resistant, able to survive (doesn't have to look good) on under an
inch of water applied once a week (south Florida stage 3 drought restriction).

Thanks, Rick DeBay

No flooding in the south Florida rains, it is just under the roof line.

Old 08-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Rick DeBay

In article , hermine says...

wrote:

[...]

I hope there are bamboo that can withstand drought, as I'm purchasing a bunch of
Bambusa lako RSN.
A landscape architect suggested growing papyrus to replace the rock garden
bamboo. As long as the ghost of Morikami-san doesn't complain it may be a
viable alternative.

Rick

Old 09-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Chris

Rick DeBay wrote in message
I hope there are bamboo that can withstand drought, as I'm purchasing a bunch of
Bambusa lako RSN.
A landscape architect suggested growing papyrus to replace the rock garden
bamboo. As long as the ghost of Morikami-san doesn't complain it may be a
viable alternative.

Bambusa Lako likes it's water.... likes it a lot. The Lako at Quail
Bot Gardens doesn't get enough water and it looks like crap. It is a
beautiful plant, I would love to have one myself, but here in So Cal
it would take a ton of water just to let it survive.

Chris
Chino,CA
Old 11-03-2003, 05:46 AM
Chris

Rick DeBay wrote in message ...

How deep are its roots? If they go down five feet they should hit water in
south Florida.

Thanks, Rick

Hey Rick,

I could be wrong, but I don't know of any bamboo that drops that deep
except for some of the more vigorous runners when they hit a barrier.
They generally hover near the surface.

Maybe if you heavily mulch it and give it as much water as you can get
away with.. it might do alright. You do have pretty high humidity
don't you? Or are you not in THAT part of flo-da?

Chris
Chino,CA