Old 27-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Jim Caldwell

Default Best soil for golden bamboo?

I am starting some bamboo seedlings about 2 in. tall in 6 in pots. The soil
is just Miracle Gro potting soil. The pots get full sun, and I don't let
the soil get dried out. The bamboo isn't growing very much, and one (of two)
looks like it might not survive. Am I using the wrong kind of soil ? Maybe
they prefer a different ph or they like a more sandy soil?

Old 27-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Starlord

I grow my bamboo in Desert Soil and it loves it. All I do is add steer
manure once in awhile and water it once a week.

--
Dragons Must Fly when Thread's in the Sky

www.starlords.org

"Jim Caldwell" wrote in message
I am starting some bamboo seedlings about 2 in. tall in 6 in pots.

The soil
is just Miracle Gro potting soil. The pots get full sun, and I

don't let
the soil get dried out. The bamboo isn't growing very much, and one

(of two)
looks like it might not survive. Am I using the wrong kind of soil

? Maybe
they prefer a different ph or they like a more sandy soil?

---

Old 28-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Bert

Jim,

Are you sure you are growing Golden Bamboo. P. aurea?

I have never started aurea from seed but I use promix for the P. bamboo I
have started from seed.

If it is a rhyzome division then I add composted cow manure into the
planting soil (clay) and they do fine.

Bert

"Jim Caldwell" wrote in message
I am starting some bamboo seedlings about 2 in. tall in 6 in pots. The

soil
is just Miracle Gro potting soil. The pots get full sun, and I don't let
the soil get dried out. The bamboo isn't growing very much, and one (of

two)
looks like it might not survive. Am I using the wrong kind of soil ?

Maybe
they prefer a different ph or they like a more sandy soil?

Golden bamboo in a small yard - replace or put in barrier? Bert Gardening 1 20-05-2004 06:02 AM
Golden bamboo in a small yard - replace or put in barrier? Dooler Bamboo 1 19-05-2004 01:04 PM
Golden grove bamboo Please help Barbie Bug Bamboo 0 17-10-2003 02:32 PM
Golden Bamboo again PK United Kingdom 3 10-09-2003 11:40 PM
Golden bamboo goes walkabout Paul Kelly United Kingdom 7 09-08-2003 02:14 AM