Old 06-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Eddie

Default Black mold on bamboo

My black bamboo is getting a lot of a black mold-like growth on it. It's in
clumps (about a quarter to one-half inch in diameter) around the base of the
leaves and stems. Located in central-eastern NC.
Any ideas on what it is and should I treat it with anything?
Thanks,
Ed

Old 06-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Beecrofter

"Eddie" wrote in message ...
My black bamboo is getting a lot of a black mold-like growth on it. It's in
clumps (about a quarter to one-half inch in diameter) around the base of the
leaves and stems. Located in central-eastern NC.
Any ideas on what it is and should I treat it with anything?
Thanks,
Ed

Sooty mold
It grows on insect wastes.
Aphids ,scales,mealie bugs etc.

Old 07-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Bert

Aphids and mealy bugs will leave a honeydue deposit on the branch joint.
Ants come along and eat the honeydue and leave the black mold looking
deposits on your bamboo. This does not hurt your bamboo but it is unsightly.

I have found that horticultural oil spray will kill the aphids that leave
the deposits preventing the ants from leaving the deposits. One treatment on
P. n. henon has prevented the return for over 3 years now.

Bert

Old 09-05-2004, 02:04 AM
ems

In article , Bert
wrote:

Aphids and mealy bugs will leave a honeydue deposit on the branch joint.
Ants come along and eat the honeydue and leave the black mold looking
deposits on your bamboo. This does not hurt your bamboo but it is unsightly.

I found an easy solution for the problem... On a whim, I took the power
sprayer to the grove. Knocked off most of the aphids and cleaned off a
lot of the sooty material. That seemed to tip the balance and the aphid
problem mostly cleared up after that. You can even add a little soap to
the mix and it seems to help and not hurt...

EMS