GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/)
-   -   Big Bamboo in France? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/60976-big-bamboo-france.html)

Douglas 10-05-2004 12:03 AM

Big Bamboo in France?

Hello:

I'd like to grow big bamboo on my land in France.
(Dept 24: Dordogne, latitude 45° 11' 0" N, Climate zone -7 to -12 C
/20 - 10 F)

I've seen a nice stand of green bamboo in Perigueux noir. The stems are
about 1" in diameter. Does anyone in this climate zone grow a larger
variety?

DW

mullens 10-05-2004 01:03 AM

Big Bamboo in France?

Douglas wrote:

Hello:
=20
I'd like to grow big bamboo on my land in France.
(Dept 24: Dordogne, latitude 45=B0 11' 0" N, Climate zone -7 to -12 C=

=20
/20 - 10 F)
=20
I've seen a nice stand of green bamboo in Perigueux noir. The stems are=

=20
about 1" in diameter. Does anyone in this climate zone grow a larger=20
variety?
=20

Visit la Bambouseraie de Prafrance, probably not too far from you - it's =
worth it.
http://www.bambouseraie.fr/ - many of the plants in England come from the=
re. They
have a nice catalogue.

From my recollection the Phyllostachys varieties there are 3" in diamete=
r or more.

There's also some large bamboo in the botanical gardens of Montpellier, b=
ut it seems
to be just one variety.