GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/)
-   -   Phyllostachys nuda - Barrier needed in Zone 5? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/63063-phyllostachys-nuda-barrier-needed-zone-5-a.html)

MC 04-06-2004 09:02 PM

Phyllostachys nuda - Barrier needed in Zone 5?

I am planting some Phyllostachys nuda and am wondering if I need a
barrier given the cold winters here (Zone 5). If I do, how deep
should it go and what do you recommend. I am looking more for some
type of liner rather than a container as I need it to spread somewhat.

Can anyone in Zone 5 or there abouts tell me how high there's has
gotten and how long it took?

Chris 08-06-2004 04:32 PM

(MC) wrote in message . com...
I am planting some Phyllostachys nuda and am wondering if I need a
barrier given the cold winters here (Zone 5). If I do, how deep
should it go and what do you recommend. I am looking more for some
type of liner rather than a container as I need it to spread somewhat.

Can anyone in Zone 5 or there abouts tell me how high there's has
gotten and how long it took?

Are you close to a neighbor that wouldn't appreciate the gift? If you
are planting far enough away you can contain it by mowing new shoots
in an undesired area, if you have a neighbor that will get riled up,
put in a barrier.

Runners will find a way to get around/over/under/through a barrier.
Generally you want a minimum of 36" depth with 30 mil plastic sheet.
The easiest way would be by renting a "Ditch Witch" or other trenching
machine.

I am not familiar with growth in your climate, but it is better to err
on the side of caution.

Good luck.

Chris