Old 14-06-2004, 01:07 AM
TQPL

Default new large culms aborting in established Phyllostachys

Hi Group,

I would be interested in some opinions.
In the UK I have a large established clump of
Phyllostachys viridi-glaucescens with many 15-20ft
leafed out culms. Planted in freedraining soil
with the roots accessing the permanent water table
of a stream at 2.5ft depth. I can see this if I
dig deep enough. Normally the clump of approx 10ft
x 5ft spread grows very well.

This year I have had a number of large culms
abort. Not small ones but the culms in the of
1.5 - 2.0 inch diameter.
These are the very largest to form. They reach
about 2 - 4 feet in height, then the tips start to
bend and they abort. I have been feeding high
nitrogen fertilizer the last few weeks at the time
of culm shooting.
The small culms are growing with no problems.

Do the experts think this might be too much
nitrogen?
Do you think not enough water?
Too much water from irrigation watering?
They are all culms in the centre of the clump
which is shaded.

We have bee frost free for a number of months.

Any advice would be appreciated in the hope I can
stop it happening next year.
With regards
Alan (inUK)

Old 14-06-2004, 08:02 AM
mullens

TQPL wrote:

[...]

I am interested in this. My guess - and it is just a guess, is that

the larger diameter culms "start" lower down - closer to the water table
and it is excess water that is the cause. I claim no expertise at all.

It seems to be natural for some culms to abort - but normally the first
ones out seem to survive.

Old 15-06-2004, 10:07 PM
TQPL

Hi Mullens,

Thanks for your input. I don't know if the larg
culms have already made roots that go deeper than
the rest of the clump before sprouting and so get
'drowned'. It would be difficult to asertain.
Hope your bamboo plants on your stream bank are
doing well.

It it frustrating here, the tips at 2-5ft height
seem to stall as they twist and get trapped in the
culm sheaths. The terminal leaves wither and then
the culm dies back from the tip. Never seen this
happen before.
Almost as though there is a weevil inside but
cannot see any signs on examination.

Driving me nuts here.
Alan(inUK)

"mullens" wrote
in message ...

Old 16-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Beecrofter

"TQPL" wrote in message ...
[...]

Well this year 1/2 of my yellowgroove culms 2" dia aborted but we had
a hard winter and there was much leaf and branch death so I think food
reserves were limited.
I also have a high water table here and I just keep raising things by
piling on the leaves , grass clippings, woodchips and compost.
Old 16-06-2004, 11:05 PM
TQPL

Hi,

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
It perhaps is just a bad year here for the large
culms in my planting spot.
We had a very mild winter but it has been dry for
weeks and weeks, so had to irrigate.
Although I fed the clump well, I did start that
late, when the shooting season had begun and
perhaps there was not enough food reaching all of
the clump.
Fortunately adjacent other Phyllostachys nigra
punctata have not suffered....that probably means
little!

Was interested to hear about your yellowgroove
culms...great pity.

Thanks
Alan(inUK)

"Beecrofter" wrote in