Old 25-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Registered User

Location: UK
Question Windburn to leaves :(

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a Phyllostachys aurea a week ago which I have planted in a large container.
The last couple of days we have had severe winds where I live,and although i tried my best to protect my bamboo from the wind it has suffered windburn.A lot of the leaves are curled up,drooping and dry looking - its looking a bit sorry for itself

Is there anything I can do to help it recover - or will the leaves die and drop off anyway?

Thanks in advance for any advise
Old 26-06-2004, 04:02 AM
SamMan

Default Windburn to leaves :(

s.com...

--
Moonflower

One indication that a plant is not getting enough water is the leaves will
roll up. I planted a 1 gal. Phyllostachys aureosulcata aureocaulis a couple
of months ago in our back yard (zone 5). We live in a new development, with
no windbreaks. It very often gets quite windy here too. The first 2-3 weeks,
I watered the plant at least twice a day with a 2.5 gal bucket. I now water
it deeply once a day. It is surving the wind just fine, even growing new
leaves.

I had been told that until the plant gets astablished, it needs a lot of
water, but not to the point of it waterlogging the plant, i.e. poor draining
soil.

HTH

--

SamMan
Rip it to reply

Old 26-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Bob Hardy

The other poster may well be right. Water lots. It's a little unusual to
have substantial wind burn without cold weather. The leaves you described
will likely die, but don't cut the culm. It may releaf this year or even
next year. If there are no leaves and watering doesn't help, you may have
lost the plant. The only people I have known who lost bamboo plants lost
them in the first year due to underwatering.

Bob