Old 05-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Roger

Default Thinning Bamboo

I have a further question about thinning bamboo. When cutting
out culms for thinning, does one cut them at ground level or
at the first or second node? I've read conflicting things about this,
and would like to cut as close to the ground as I can manage, but
don't want to damage the plant.

Any comments on this from veterans?

Thanks.

-Roger

"Robert Chehey" wrote in message
Does anyone have a constructive suggestion for thinning a stand of
bamboo? I have a seven-year-old stand of Phyllostachys aureosulcata
which is approching mature size. It is now about 30' X 1.5".

I'm asking, does one remove culms under a certain size, or is it
better to thin to a certain distance between culms? It seems to me
the former would produce a more natural and random look.

Any thoughts?

Robert L. Chehey

Boise, ID, USA, USDA Zone 7. Heat zone 7
Cold, Mediterranean Shrub-steppe (Köppen BSk )
and deciduous riparian forest
N43º38.67' W116º13.68' Altitude: 816M

Old 01-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
I have a further question about thinning bamboo. When cutting
out culms for thinning, does one cut them at ground level or
at the first or second node? I've read conflicting things about this,
and would like to cut as close to the ground as I can manage, but
don't want to damage the plant.

[/color]
Cut just above the lowest node. If you cut below it, then the culm may rot back to the roots if it fills with water. The culm will die back to the node fairly quickly.