Old 05-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Roger

Default Cutting culms while thinning bamboo

I posted this today as a reply to the "Thinning bamboo" thread,
but I really could use some help on this:

When cutting out culms for thinning, does one cut them at ground
level or at the first or second node? I've read conflicting things
about this, and would like to cut as close to the ground as I can
manage, but don't want to damage the plant.

Any comments on this from veterans?

Thanks.

-Roger

Old 06-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Mary Ann Silverman

Cut as close to the ground as possible. Be sure to cut the culm off flush
with the ground and not at an angle. (Bamboo cut at an angle is an accident
waiting to happen.)

Mary Ann

Old 07-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Chris

"Mary Ann Silverman" wrote in message ...
Cut as close to the ground as possible. Be sure to cut the culm off flush
with the ground and not at an angle. (Bamboo cut at an angle is an accident
waiting to happen.)

Better known as "Punji sticks" :-/

You are not going to hurt the plant if you cut a culm close to the
ground. You can even follow it to it's base in the rhizome and cut
it...
Old 11-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Roger

Default Thinning Bamboo

I have a further question about thinning bamboo. When cutting
out culms for thinning, does one cut them at ground level or
at the first or second node? I've read conflicting things about this,
and would like to cut as close to the ground as I can manage, but
don't want to damage the plant.

Any comments on this from veterans?

Thanks.

-Roger

"Robert Chehey" wrote in message
Does anyone have a constructive suggestion for thinning a stand of
bamboo? I have a seven-year-old stand of Phyllostachys aureosulcata
which is approching mature size. It is now about 30' X 1.5".

I'm asking, does one remove culms under a certain size, or is it
better to thin to a certain distance between culms? It seems to me
the former would produce a more natural and random look.

Any thoughts?

Robert L. Chehey

Boise, ID, USA, USDA Zone 7. Heat zone 7
Cold, Mediterranean Shrub-steppe (Köppen BSk )
and deciduous riparian forest
N43º38.67' W116º13.68' Altitude: 816M

Thinning out a VERY young bamboo? Tripp Bamboo 4 01-06-2012 08:37 AM
Thinning Bamboo Roger Bamboo 1 01-02-2006 08:38 PM
thinning bamboo Niall Smyth United Kingdom 6 11-04-2005 10:10 PM
Cutting culms while thinning bamboo Roger Bamboo 1 11-07-2004 08:06 AM
Stripping culms Mike Gilmore Bamboo 6 29-06-2003 11:44 PM