GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/)
-   -   Cutting culms while thinning bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/78728-cutting-culms-while-thinning-bamboo.html)

Roger 11-07-2004 08:06 AM

Cutting culms while thinning bamboo

I posted this today as a reply to the "Thinning bamboo" thread,
but I really could use some help on this:

When cutting out culms for thinning, does one cut them at ground
level or at the first or second node? I've read conflicting things
about this, and would like to cut as close to the ground as I can
manage, but don't want to damage the plant.

Any comments on this from veterans?

Thanks.

-Roger

Mary Ann Silverman 11-07-2004 08:06 AM

Cutting culms while thinning bamboo

Cut as close to the ground as possible. Be sure to cut the culm off flush
with the ground and not at an angle. (Bamboo cut at an angle is an accident
waiting to happen.)

Mary Ann