Old 10-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Registered User

Question Bamboo Advice...

Hello,

Firstly, an informed identification of the specimen below, and secondly, can you tell WHY the leaves are going brown like that?

I am prepared to do whatever it takes!

The new growth sprouting from the bottom has appeared since I have been watering it once a week with my aquarium water. (Water changes)... I have a fully planted tank, and add macro and micro nutrients along with Iron and a plethora of other nutrients including tannic and humic acids...

The damage occured before I started feeding. I removed many affected leaves, and it is only the ones initially damaged that have got progressively worse...

This is the first winter with me, for this plant... Is there any special precautions I should take for the Winter months in the UK ?

Finally... (I know this is a long one) Can you recommend any special advice for the care and maintenance of this plant.

Kind Regards,

David & Anita.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidxanita@yah
[...]

Oops...

Helps to have a photo...

D.
Attached Thumbnails
Bamboo Advice...-bamboo.jpg
Old 11-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Registered User

[...]

It looks like overwatering. I have found it is easy to overwater potted bamboo.

Greg,
The picture is at
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/showth...463#post457463

Bill

Old 12-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollenback
It looks like overwatering. I have found it is easy to overwater potted bamboo.

Greg,
The picture is at
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/showth...463#post457463

Bill
Hi,

Complete newby...

See:

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...achmentid=2701

Overwatering... OK. The soil should be allowed to completely dry out (bone dry) before watering?

I have been making sure this does not happen, and keeping the soil damp, but not sitting in water, as this pot has good drainage and is terrocotta (porus)...

Is there any where I can read up on optimum watering habits for this Sp. of Bamboo... (BTW, can you ID it as well, please)

Thanks,

(keen amatures)

D&A.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Registered User

[quote=davidxanita@yah]
QUOTE]

I should say, the browness occured BEFORE I started watering with the Aquarium Water (AW), not AFTER in my previous thread. Apologies for the confusiuon. Since the 'AW' the Sp hah spurted out with a new lower level, (see picture)...

Kind Regards,

D&A.
Old 14-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Chris

davidxanita@yah wrote in message k...

http://tinyurl.com/6am77

Overwatering... OK. The soil should be allowed to completely dry out
(bone dry) before watering?

I have been making sure this does not happen, and keeping the soil
damp, but not sitting in water, as this pot has good drainage and is
terrocotta (porus)...

Is there any where I can read up on optimum watering habits for this
Sp. of Bamboo... (BTW, can you ID it as well, please)

http://www.whyy.org/91FM/ybyg/images...a_japonica.jpg

Looks like "Arrow Bamboo" or Pseudosasa Japonica.

http://www.endangeredspecies.com/tex...ons/Ps/PSJ.htm

Endangered Species nursery lists it as:

"12' height, Shade/sun, 0 degrees F Minimum, Slow spreader.

Classic, dependable plant with no enemies. Usually forms solid
vertical mass of medium-size, dark green leaves which cover & enclose
plant from ground up to top. Holds culm leaf sheaths and therefore
creates less litter than phyllostachys or bambusas. Can make a thick
hedge with occasional pruning but no below-grade barrier. Has been
flowering since 1950 with no ill effect.

Pandas consumed 12-15 pounds of japonica per day at Busch Gardens,
Florida.

Native to Japan & Korea and used to manufacture arrow shafts.
Introduced into U.S. from Japan in 1850.

Mulched plants remain evergreen down to -10 degrees F. Heavily
mulched plants have underground rhizomes capable of surviving -25
degrees F. David Andrews reports plant evergreen down to 9 degrees &
dies to ground at -8 degrees F., but regrows in spring. Does well in
Southern Florida. Richard Sturgill planted one in Ketchikan, Alaska
in March, 1992."

When bamboo shoots, it gets stressed and leaves can yellow or brown.
This could also have been a result of being dry on a particularly
hot/dry day. Bamboo also cycles through it's leaves. The leaves on
the older culms will yellow/brown and then fall off, new ones should
replace them soon after. The newer growth on the bottom is very green
and looks good.

Rule of thumb, keep the soil from drying out. In a pot on a hot/dry
day you will find the drying out happens in a matter an hour or two.
If it is going to be hot or dry, I would set the pot in a saucer of
water, about an inch or two. It will then use it's own wicking to
bring the water up. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Keep it damp
and it should be fine.

Good luck!

Chris
Old 14-09-2004, 12:00 PM
bamboopots

I finally managed to download the photo and I agree its probably dried out.
Black bamboo (P. Nigra) gets similar brown tips when it dries out.
The plant is fairly large for the pot that it is in so it may be prone to
drying out, you could consider putting it in a bigger pot or giving it a bit
more shade. I'm not sure of the variety.
All the best
Greg

Chris wrote in message . ..
davidxanita@yah wrote in

message k...

http://tinyurl.com/6am77

http://www.endangeredspecies.com/tex...criptions/Ps/P

Old 16-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboopots
Greg Chris
Thank you Very much indeed folks, I found that very usefull.

It is nice to have a little expert confirmation.

Kind Regards,

D & A.