Old 08-11-2004, 06:48 AM
Grass roots

Default Does bamboo grow in cold climates?

I'm in Colorado. Does it grow here?

I've also heard that it can grow out of control and take over a yard?

Grassroots
( no email - spoofed )
Old 09-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Cereus-validus.

Sure there are cold hardy species of bamboo.

Take over a yard? Some can take over acres!!!!

Old 10-11-2004, 05:35 PM
Jay Chan

I don't know which zone you are. Bamboo is growing well in my zone-6
yard (northern New Jersey). But they are the kind that spreads
(actually they spreaded from my neighbor property). Luckily, they are
at the edge of my lawn. I can easily control them by mowing over their
shoots in spring when the shoots come up in area that I don't want
them to be there. I can also control them by simply cutting them down
and use the cans to construct structure for climbing vines.

I tried the non-spreading type (the clump type) in another part of my
yard. But they are "really marginal" in my zone, and they all died in
winter. Seem like the spreading type is the only kind that can surrive
in zone-6.

Jay Chan