Old 22-02-2005, 06:56 PM
RainLover

Default Getting prepped for Mass Plantings of Bamboos.. suggestions and advice???

Hi everyone,

I just planted 20 clumps of yellow groove bamboo, and I'm getting
ready to plant 10 Vivax, 15 Negra Henon, 6 Chinese Walking Stick, A
couple of Dulcis, and, hopefully, 4 or 5 Mitida and/or Merili (shade)
bamboos.

My soil isn't the best but I'm planning on using a local product from
Tacoma Washington, USA, called 'tagro' (www.tagro.com) which is a
great soil amendment made from processes sewage.

I know I need to stake (well) and water (frequently), but I'm new to
all of this bamboo and I'm looking for advice and suggestions.

I'm also going to be installing bamboo barrier around all of these
groves.

Thanks!

James, Port Orchard, Washington, USA, Zone 5.

Old 22-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Travis

RainLover wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just planted 20 clumps of yellow groove bamboo, and I'm getting
ready to plant 10 Vivax, 15 Negra Henon, 6 Chinese Walking Stick, A
couple of Dulcis, and, hopefully, 4 or 5 Mitida and/or Merili
(shade) bamboos.

My soil isn't the best but I'm planning on using a local product
from Tacoma Washington, USA, called 'tagro' (www.tagro.com) which
is a great soil amendment made from processes sewage.

I know I need to stake (well) and water (frequently), but I'm new to
all of this bamboo and I'm looking for advice and suggestions.

I'm also going to be installing bamboo barrier around all of these
groves.

Thanks!

James, Port Orchard, Washington, USA, Zone 5.

No need to stake, I didn't. I water and fertilize mine like the grass
it is. It is a good idea to mulch. I used Cedar Grove and wood chips
on top of that.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 22-02-2005, 08:39 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about soil amendments. Bamboo is a bottom
feeder, it will do well in a wide variety of soils. If grass will grow
on in, so will bamboo. I would add fertilizers once it was
established.

As for water, I live in a (normally) pretty arid climate. I water my
bamboos 3x a day for 10 mins (30 total) on a drip/mister system. It
*really* is more than is needed. I've dug to plant some other plants
that are some distance from the boos and the soil is moist pretty far
down.

As for stakes, if the plants are tall enough to be whipped by the wind,
you may wish to stake them, if wind really isn't an issue where you
are, I'd save the trouble.

Good luck!

Chris
Chino,CA (30 miles east of Los Angeles)

Old 26-02-2005, 02:02 AM
RainLover

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:07:54 GMT, "Travis"
wrote:

RainLover wrote:
[...]

Some of the Henon I'll be getting tops out at 17' and will blow over
if a wind comes up, so staking is a necessity. ;-)

Thanks,

James, Port Orchard, Washington, USA, ZONE 8..... I don't know what my
fingers were typing the first time... zone 5 indeed. LOL
Old 26-02-2005, 03:58 AM
Travis

wrote:

RainLover wrote:
[...]

I've divided/transplanted boo's that tall and given some to a
friend/co-worker and neither one of us has had to stake them.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 10-03-2005, 03:17 AM
World Traveler

I've got two clumps of Giant Timber Bamboo which has canes 45-60' tall, and
Buddha Belly which is a little shorter, that went through Hurricane Jeanne
last fall. They bent, but very few broke, in 100+ mph winds. Actually they
were a pretty good windbreak and probably kept the house from getting any
damage.

What would you stake bamboo with that would be sturdier? I stake everything
else with cuttings from my bamboo clumps. -- Regards, WT

Old 11-03-2005, 09:25 PM
RainLover

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:17:10 GMT, "World Traveler"
wrote:

I've got two clumps of Giant Timber Bamboo which has canes 45-60' tall, and
Buddha Belly which is a little shorter, that went through Hurricane Jeanne
last fall. They bent, but very few broke, in 100+ mph winds. Actually they
were a pretty good windbreak and probably kept the house from getting any
damage.

What would you stake bamboo with that would be sturdier? I stake everything
else with cuttings from my bamboo clumps. -- Regards, WT

Hi WT,

There's a bit of a difference between mature bamboo and bamboo with a
'rootball' less than 2' across and a foot deep. Even staked, my
bamboo has fallen over 3 or 4 times... the twine keeps snapping. I'm
replacing the twine with a small rope as needed.

There's A LOT of leverage on somthing 25' high and 5' wide at the top
when the wind comes up. I'm sure once the rhizomes kick off, all will
be fine, but until then, stakes are NEEDED.

James, Seattle (black grove, yellow groove grove, chinese walking
stick grove, and a huge-ass Nigra Henon grove) Zone 8a

.. .