Old 16-04-2005, 07:10 AM
Conor Redmond

Default Keeping bamboo in it's place ?

I'd like to plant some bamboo to help act as a screen between me and my
neighbours house. But I've heard Bamboo is fairly prolific and once
it's planted it will start to slowly invade the rest of the garden.

Is there any way to help ensure that the bamboo can be kept in just one
area ?

Thanks
Conor
http://www.gardennut.com
Old 16-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Travis

Conor Redmond wrote:
I'd like to plant some bamboo to help act as a screen between me
and my neighbours house. But I've heard Bamboo is fairly prolific
and once it's planted it will start to slowly invade the rest of
the garden.

Is there any way to help ensure that the bamboo can be kept in just
one area ?

Buy clumping or install a barrier.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 17-04-2005, 07:04 PM
RainLover

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:10:29 -0700, Conor Redmond
wrote:

I'd like to plant some bamboo to help act as a screen between me and my
neighbours house. But I've heard Bamboo is fairly prolific and once
it's planted it will start to slowly invade the rest of the garden.

Is there any way to help ensure that the bamboo can be kept in just one
area ?

Thanks
Conor
http://www.gardennut.com

Bamboo makes a GREAT barrior, but unless you want ENEMIES living next
door, at a minimum, put a bamboo barrior along the fence line. This
barrior needs to be at least 22" deep, and keep 2" above ground level
because it WILL go up and over, and 2" will at least make it visible
and easy to trim.

If you don't want it coming up everwhere in YOUR yard, put the barrior
up on your side too. You can rent a trencher for under $100 that'll
do the job and it's VERY worth it 5 years down the road. Some may
suggest you just "cut it with the mower" but you will end up with
stubby little hard things in your yard.

REMEMBER THIS RULE OF THUMB:
Bamboo can run UNDERGROUND as far as it is tall before popping up.

But if it 'pops up' and you mow it, add that distance AGAIN from that
shoot point..

With a little thought before planting, you'll LOVE the bamboo for as
long as you live there.

james, port orchard, zone 8a (black, yellowgrove, Dolcis, and nigra
henon)
Old 17-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Travis

wrote:

[...]

From the ABS web site.
http://www.americanbamboo.org/FAQ.ht...ereIDontWantIt

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 12-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Conor Redmond

wrote:

[...]

From the ABS web site.
http://www.americanbamboo.org/FAQ.ht...ereIDontWantIt

Thanks
I was a little scared by the revelation that the underground runners
could go laterally as far as they could vertically.
I appreciate the Excellent advice though.

Is there any local places in Seattle where you can pick up some shoots.
I generally haven't seen it in any of the nurseries.

Cheers
Conor
http://wwww.gardennut.com

Old 13-05-2005, 04:58 AM
hollenback

"Conor Redmond" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

From the ABS web site.
http://www.americanbamboo.org/FAQ.ht...ereIDontWantIt

Thanks
I was a little scared by the revelation that the underground runners could
go laterally as far as they could vertically.
I appreciate the Excellent advice though.

Is there any local places in Seattle where you can pick up some shoots.
I generally haven't seen it in any of the nurseries.

Cheers
Conor
http://wwww.gardennut.com

Conor
Here is a link to dealers in the PNW:
http://agsyst.wsu.edu/bambiz.htm

Here is a link to ABS member sources in Washington:
http://www.bambooweb.info/ShowFilter...l=-1&Button=GO

Bill
http://www.bambooweb.info

Old 14-05-2005, 03:13 AM

Yeak I just came back from the neighbors from doing my spring rhizome
severing. I kicked over a few yellowgroove shoots fat as half dollars
and stomped a sharpened spade through the turf where they had escaped
to about every foot or so. The shoots are pretty tasty and the neighbor
doesn't go pesticidal with turf chemicals. While I was there I dropped
a little mushroom compost on the spots along the way in her lawn that
needed help. Now if there was a perennial bed there I probably would
have annoyed her but it's just turf grass and we get along pretty well.
You have 2 choices, contain it or control it, mine just happened to
find a few cracks in a retaining wall so I went to control it.

Old 15-05-2005, 04:31 PM
bamboo girl

i totaly agree with ya travis...clumping the best way to go.i just wish
there was a tall clumpers with big dia.and as cold hardy as the running
boo.

i was at the huge moso grove in sliverbrook cematary- anderson,sc
yesterday and in one of the two spots moso was growing it was invadeing
and poping up the many grave site that the moso is planted next to.not
a nice thing..i can see it going to be tough+costly for them to remove
thos rhizones+clums...

im growing moso and green groove and letting it just grow ,but i got 8
acres with a lawn mower and chainsaw should i need it which i doubt....

usda-Z-6
sunset-Z-36

chele(michele-marie)
n/e tn mtns

Old 15-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Travis

bamboo girl wrote:
i totaly agree with ya travis...clumping the best way to go.i just
wish there was a tall clumpers with big dia.and as cold hardy as
the running boo.

i was at the huge moso grove in sliverbrook cematary- anderson,sc
yesterday and in one of the two spots moso was growing it was
invadeing and poping up the many grave site that the moso is
planted next to.not a nice thing..i can see it going to be
tough+costly for them to remove thos rhizones+clums...

im growing moso and green groove and letting it just grow ,but i
got 8 acres with a lawn mower and chainsaw should i need it which i
doubt....

It is very helpful when replying to a message to quote some or all of
the previous post so one does not have to set their newsreader to
display read messages to see what you are talking about.

I don't have 8 acres but my house is on a corner lot and one of my
neighbors lot is below mine with a rockery the other neighbor is far
from my bamboo so control is not an issue for me. Nearly all of my
bamboo is of the running type. I do have 3 clumpers and 2 ground
covers. I hope to one day be engulfed.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington