Old 04-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Michael Shaffer

Default Bamboo planting questions

I wanted to plant 100 Moso seeds along the road in this picture

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/bank.jpg

The property line is at the brown mailbox in the distance. Is there
anything I should keep in mind when planting? Any tips? Should I cut all
that brush out or will the bamboo take it over? I might still use Yellow
Vivax if I can find seeds somewhere.. I think if the moso got too high
the power company might cut it back anyways.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-05-2005, 02:43 AM
Travis

Michael Shaffer wrote:
I wanted to plant 100 Moso seeds along the road in this picture

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/bank.jpg

The property line is at the brown mailbox in the distance. Is there
anything I should keep in mind when planting? Any tips? Should I
cut all that brush out or will the bamboo take it over? I might
still use Yellow Vivax if I can find seeds somewhere.. I think if
the moso got too high the power company might cut it back anyways.

Thanks,
Mike

I think you would be better off planting the seeds in pots first. The
germination rate may be low. Is Moso appropriate for your part of the
world?

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 05-05-2005, 02:56 AM
Michael Shaffer

Travis wrote:
Michael Shaffer wrote:

I wanted to plant 100 Moso seeds along the road in this picture

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/bank.jpg

The property line is at the brown mailbox in the distance. Is there
anything I should keep in mind when planting? Any tips? Should I
cut all that brush out or will the bamboo take it over? I might
still use Yellow Vivax if I can find seeds somewhere.. I think if
the moso got too high the power company might cut it back anyways.

Thanks,
Mike

I think you would be better off planting the seeds in pots first. The
germination rate may be low. Is Moso appropriate for your part of the
world?

I'm in Zone 7 which I think is the lowest one it works in. The seeds
were only like $9 so I guess I have nothing to lose.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:00 AM
Michael Shaffer

Travis wrote:
Michael Shaffer wrote:

I wanted to plant 100 Moso seeds along the road in this picture

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/bank.jpg

The property line is at the brown mailbox in the distance. Is there
anything I should keep in mind when planting? Any tips? Should I
cut all that brush out or will the bamboo take it over? I might
still use Yellow Vivax if I can find seeds somewhere.. I think if
the moso got too high the power company might cut it back anyways.

Thanks,
Mike

I think you would be better off planting the seeds in pots first. The
germination rate may be low. Is Moso appropriate for your part of the
world?

I guess I was wrong, I'm in 6b-7a.

http://www.ersys.com/usa/51/5126496/usda.htm
Old 05-05-2005, 02:23 PM

In 10 or 20 years with luck you might have a stand of bamboo.
Otherwise you can expect to grow those seeds in containers for 5 0r 6
years before they are large enough to set out.