Old 25-05-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Do I Need to Put Barrier Around Clump Type Bamboo (Fargesia Nitida)?

I am planning to put fargesia nitida (a clump type bamboo) as a privacy
screen in the property line. Because it is placed in the property line,
I don't want it to spread to my neigbhor property. I am wondering
whether I still need to worry about whether it will spread and how
fast/far it can spread given the fact that it is a clump type bamboo,
and not a runner.

I really don't want to put barrier around the property line because
there are large trees and many tree root. I am afraid that the process
of putting a barrier may kill the trees.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Old 25-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Beetlebau

I wouldn't worry too much about a clumper planted near the property
line. It it will take quite a while to spread to the neighbor's
property, and even then will spread into their property relatively
slowly. I have a fargesia nitida planted near the property line and
don't expect to have a problem with it for many years to come.

Old 26-05-2005, 01:37 AM
rjb

My Fargesia nitida went in as a small plant from Endangered Species about 15
years ago and it has only grown to be a clump about 2 meters diameter. It
tries to spread about 4 inches in a typical year. This is in Albuquerque,
NM, though, where most bamboo are unhappy. My other species of (spreading)
bamboo tend to get out of hand, but slower than in other areas.
Rick

ups.com...

Old 26-05-2005, 04:31 PM

Thanks for everyone who have replied.

Seem like this clumper will spread so slow that I will have plenty of
time to trim it down if it ever spread close to my neighbor property.

Jay Chan

rjb wrote:
My Fargesia nitida went in as a small plant from Endangered Species about 15
years ago and it has only grown to be a clump about 2 meters diameter. It
tries to spread about 4 inches in a typical year. This is in Albuquerque,
NM, though, where most bamboo are unhappy. My other species of (spreading)
bamboo tend to get out of hand, but slower than in other areas.
Rick

ups.com...

Old 07-06-2005, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the info.

I have a feeling that when a clumper grows so large that it may break
the barrier, I may be able to divide it into multiple clumps and plant
them in different locations, right? Kind of turning a problem into an
opportunity.

Jay Chan

Thanks for everyone who have replied.

Seem like this clumper will spread so slow that I will have plenty of
time to trim it down if it ever spread close to my neighbor property.

That and clumpers won't be contained by a barrier like a runner... in
time it will exert so much pressure on the container that it will
break... see the pic :-)

http://www.endangeredspecies.com/ima...eBrokenPot.htm

Chris

Old 08-06-2005, 02:55 AM
World Traveler

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the info.

I have a feeling that when a clumper grows so large that it may break
the barrier, I may be able to divide it into multiple clumps and plant
them in different locations, right? Kind of turning a problem into an
opportunity.

Jay Chan

When you do, let us know and someone will be by with a video camera. It
should be good for a lot of money on AFHV. At Kanapaha Botanical Garden the
yearly bamboo sale required several graduate students with chain saws and a
lot of muscle to get a few salable small clumps.

(Now that I've got some 6-7 year old clumps of bamboo, I can't imagine what
it would take to divide one. I'd have to cut down most of the culms and
then attack the rootball with a chain saw and other power equipment. As it
is now, outside the clumps there is a mat of small surface roots that is not
impenetrable, but needs a conventional shovel, a machete and pruning shears
to get through the mat of roots to dig a hole.)

Old 08-06-2005, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the warning. I think I need to see this to believe.

By the way, I plan to plant the fargesia nitida next spring. Then they
will have a whole growing season to adapt to the new environment before
the cold winter comes.

Fargesia Nitida Gerboa Bamboo 8 13-08-2007 09:35 AM
Fargesia nitida blossoms P HO Bamboo 2 03-04-2006 04:53 PM
Golden bamboo in a small yard - replace or put in barrier? Dooler Gardening 1 24-05-2004 04:03 AM
Golden bamboo in a small yard - replace or put in barrier? Bert Gardening 1 20-05-2004 06:02 AM
Golden bamboo in a small yard - replace or put in barrier? Dooler Bamboo 1 19-05-2004 01:04 PM