Old 26-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Sue Marsh

Default [IBC] Off Topic but important-surge protectors

I just had a pretty scary close call this morning, so although this is off
topic I wanted to post it.
If you have a single surge protector in your house, right now, go check it
and make sure it's not covered in dust or near ANY sources of water....
If you have an irrigation system and use a surge protector near it, go
check, right now, and make sure there is no moisture near it!!!

I have aquariums in my bedroom. Apparently the filter gasket on one filter
for my sal****er tank was slowly letting water run down the electrical cord.
No problem, I have drip loops on all my filters... except the salt crept UP
the cord and made it to the surge protector. From the amount of soot on my
wall and the shape of the surge protector, it sat there and was sparking for
a while. Luckily, my alarm clock actually worked (first time in two weeks
which is weird) and I happened to walk by the aquariums and heard a popping
noise-took me 10 minutes to figure out what has going on . Seems that when
it shorted out, instead of turning off the strip stayed on and allowed the
power to keep running through (hence all the lights and filters still
worked)! By the grace of god (or whoever is babysitting us), it didn't catch
the carpet on fire and didn't burn the house down (or kill me with fumes).
What it did do is scare the crap out of me! So,

if you have any surge protectors, PLEASE keep them well maintained... If you
happen to have an aqaurium, check all the power cords for moisture even if
you're sure they are fine.... always use drip loops in power cords that are
near water (including all cords outside)...go check your smoke detectors
right now!!! (wasn't any smoke for mine to trip though). If this message
helps one person catch a situation, it's worth it..............

Thankful to still be here...
Susan L. Marsh and crew

http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/...ave/direct/01/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-07-2005, 12:42 AM
w_tom

It is important that a power strip contain a 15 amp circuit
breaker (some do not) AND that it not be a surge protector.
This was discussed previously with numerous pictures and
examples in two consecutive posts in alt.home.repair
entitled "Whole house surge protector?" on 8 and 10 Jul 2005
at
http://tinyurl.com/85nty

The effective surge protector belongs in the mains breaker
box for two reasons: 1) without a short connection to earth
ground, then the protector does nothing effective, and 2) the
last place you want a protector is on a carpet, behind
furniture, or on a desk full of papers.

Examples of the danger, reasons why the danger exists, and
effective solutions were all provided in that previous
discussion. There is little one can due with plug-in
protectors to make them safer since they are so often
undersized, anyway, so that myths about protection will be
promoted. Any protector that fails catastrophically did not
provide protection. Plug-in protectors are so often
undersized so that they will fail catastrophically - so that
you will assume it provided some kind of protection.

The device that would have cut off electricity when sparking
occurred is called an arc fault circuit breaker. Arc fault
breakers are now required on all bedroom circuits so that
sparking wires do not create bedroom fires. Plug-in
protectors do nothing to prevent that dangerous sparking.
Even worse, they can create house fires for other reasons - as
demonstrated by pictures in those previous discussions.

Consider a 'whole house' protector (from Home Depot or
Lowes) for surge protection (products from responsible
manufacturers such as Square D, Intermatic, GE, Leviton,
Cutler Hammer, Siemens). Consider arc fault circuit breakers
on all bedroom circuits. Don't fall for the so many myths
encouraged by plug-in protector protectors manufacturers who
really do not have a good reputation.

Sue Marsh wrote:
I just had a pretty scary close call this morning, so although this is
off topic I wanted to post it.
If you have a single surge protector in your house, right now, go
check it and make sure it's not covered in dust or near ANY sources of
water....
If you have an irrigation system and use a surge protector near it, go
check, right now, and make sure there is no moisture near it!!!

I have aquariums in my bedroom. Apparently the filter gasket on one
filter for my sal****er tank was slowly letting water run down the
electrical cord. No problem, I have drip loops on all my filters...
except the salt crept UP the cord and made it to the surge protector.
From the amount of soot on my wall and the shape of the surge