GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Lime Sulphur Application (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/100889-%5Bibc%5D-lime-sulphur-application.html)

Martha Fifield 03-08-2005 01:07 AM

[IBC] Lime Sulphur Application

I have a buttonwood that needs lime sulphur applied to its dead wood. This will be my first time doing this and would like some guidance. I was told to apply the lime sulphur to only the dead wood. My questions a
1) How can I make sure the wood is dead?
2) Will the lime sulphur harm my tree if it falls on the live wood?
3) How do I apply the lime sulphur? and how much?
Thanks!
Martha
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Zone 10

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 03-08-2005 01:15 AM

In a message dated 8/2/2005 8:07:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I have a buttonwood that needs lime sulphur applied to its dead wood. This
will be my first time doing this and would like some guidance. I was told to
apply the lime sulphur to only the dead wood. My questions a
1) How can I make sure the wood is dead?
2) Will the lime sulphur harm my tree if it falls on the live wood?
3) How do I apply the lime sulphur? and how much?

1. The dead wood on a Buttonwood is very easy to see. No bark.
2. LS will not harm live wood/bark, but it might discolor it.
3. I put a small amount of LS in a medicine cup, about 1/2 ounce and
use a small brush to brush it on. The LS works better if the dead wood is first
brushed with a bass brush and the washed with clear water. Damp wood soaks up
LS better than dry wood. Paint on the LS to just before it would run off. Let
dry. Paint again if need be.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[email protected] 03-08-2005 12:28 PM

I have a buttonwood that needs lime sulphur applied to its dead wood. This will
be my first time doing this and would like some guidance. I was told to apply
the lime sulphur to only the dead wood. My questions a
1) How can I make sure the wood is dead?
The dead wood to be treated should have the bark and cambium removed and be only the hard wood.
2) Will the lime sulphur harm my tree if it falls on the live wood?
I have been told it will, but have been careful to not get it on the live wood, especially the new wood which is forming a barrier between the dead and live wood.
3) How do I apply the lime sulphur? and how much?
With a small brush, preferably one which can be discarded after the application is done. Simply spread it on the dead wood, watching for drips and running. Best to cover the roots and pot with a cloth or paper to prevent accidents. DO IT OUTSIDE.
Tom Zane, Daytona Beach, FL