Old 11-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] sifting soil components

Yesterday I started sifting soil components, Turface and sand. For an
experiment I bought three bags of all-purpose sand at Home Depot to see
how it sifted out. Cost me $9. I had three bags of turface left over
from last year. After sifting all three bags of sand I came out with a
ratio of 1:4--3/4 of the sand sifted out as too fine. The Turface came
out to about 4:1 -- only 1/5 sifted out. The Turface, at around $10 a
bag, proved to be a much better deal. So much for trying to stretch
the Turface by buying "cheap" sand.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Yesterday I started sifting soil components, Turface and sand.
For an
experiment I bought three bags of all-purpose sand at Home

Depot to see
how it sifted out. Cost me $9. I had three bags of turface

left over
from last year. After sifting all three bags of sand I came

out with a
ratio of 1:4--3/4 of the sand sifted out as too fine. The

Turface came
out to about 4:1 -- only 1/5 sifted out. The Turface, at

around $10 a
bag, proved to be a much better deal. So much for trying to

stretch
the Turface by buying "cheap" sand.

Yes, but Turface and sand don't do the same thing in your bonsai
soil. Turface granules hold water. Sand grains don't. (Both
hold a little interstitially, probably about equally.) Depending
on tree and climate, you may need both. In my wet climate, I
should use more sand that Turface, but do not because I
discovered that HD's all-purpose sand most definately isn't ALL
purpose and I have no good sources for coarse enough sand.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-03-2003, 08:37 PM
John T. Jarrett

My neighbor built a slab for an outbuilding and offered me the leftover pile
of builder's sand he had had dumped in his driveway. I've gone thru probably
10 5-gallon buckets. Similar ratio of 1:4. Been using ALL that leftover
fines to level the yard. To me the biggest issue is the amount of work, time
and sore arms to get just a gallon of usable sand.

John
Austin, TX

"Craig Cowing" wrote in message
Yesterday I started sifting soil components, Turface and sand. For an
experiment I bought three bags of all-purpose sand at Home Depot to see
how it sifted out. Cost me $9. I had three bags of turface left over
from last year. After sifting all three bags of sand I came out with a
ratio of 1:4--3/4 of the sand sifted out as too fine. The Turface came
out to about 4:1 -- only 1/5 sifted out. The Turface, at around $10 a
bag, proved to be a much better deal. So much for trying to stretch
the Turface by buying "cheap" sand.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 11-03-2003, 10:28 PM
Craig Cowing

"John T. Jarrett" wrote:

My neighbor built a slab for an outbuilding and offered me the leftover pile
of builder's sand he had had dumped in his driveway. I've gone thru probably
10 5-gallon buckets. Similar ratio of 1:4. Been using ALL that leftover
fines to level the yard. To me the biggest issue is the amount of work, time
and sore arms to get just a gallon of usable sand.

John
Austin, TX

That's basically the issue. I'm really bumming because a product I've had really
good luck with has changed. I can't think of the brand name, but it's a 2-part
bedding for patios--larger (1") chunks of crushed stone, and a finer stone. The
finer stone, once sifted, yielded about 50/50 usable stone. The pieces were about
1/8-1/4" and pointed. Nice medium gray color. Now the finer grade is just garbage
in a bag of silt. :-(

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 11-03-2003, 11:21 PM
John T. Jarrett

How about the Oil Dry they sell at Tractor Supply real cheap?

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com

Old 12-03-2003, 12:22 AM
EESiFlo , North America

John;

I think "Oil Dry" is nothing more than glorified kitty litter !!
If you've ever emptied a litter box, I don't think these hard clay
clumps would look good in your bonsai pots.
As soon as moisture hits it, it turns into a solid clump of clay !!

Mark Hill - still frozen in Harrisburg

"John T. Jarrett" wrote:

[...]

-- --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

********
********

Old 12-03-2003, 12:36 AM
Jim Lewis

How about the Oil Dry they sell at Tractor Supply real cheap?

Oil Dri is made by the makers of Turface. I think its grain size
is a bit smaller than Turface, and it may not have been fired at
as high a temperature. I have never used it, but have been told
that its consistency may not be as reliable as Turface and it
may, at times, be mushy when constantly wetted.

It is, however, better than kitty litter.

There are other options: Terra-Green, Mule Mix, Schultz's Clay
Soil Conditioner (smaller particles, small package size and more
costly per pound), or even Haydite (which is fired shale).

All have web sites (see the FAQ article I sent you yesterday ;-)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-03-2003, 12:36 AM
Anita Hawkins

Regarding sand/gravel replacements:

"John T. Jarrett" wrote:

How about the Oil Dry they sell at Tractor Supply real cheap?

John -
Oil-Dri is not a sand-equivalent for bonsai soil, but rather a
Turface-equivalent. Like Turface, it is baked clay granules, and is
water (or oil!) absorbent. It does not "clump" like kitty litter which
has a clumping agent (typically sodium bentonite) added to the clay
granules.

Be careful, tho, Oil Dry's typically not kilned at the high
temperature that Turface and Terragreen are, and may break down more
quickly in soil, especially when kept wet. Also, since it is made for
floors not trees, it's possible that some batches could have
contaminants that would be bad for plant growth. Definitely don't
reuse what you sweep off your shop floor

Anita

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-03-2003, 01:00 AM
Harvey Fishman

Don't confuse the newer scoopable litter with older clay litter. Clay
litter, which IS similar to OilDry, does not clump into big lumps. It
remains as discrete bits even when saturated.

Harvey

"John T. Jarrett" wrote:

My neighbor built a slab for an outbuilding and offered me the
leftover

pile
of builder's sand he had had dumped in his driveway. I've gone thru

probably
10 5-gallon buckets. Similar ratio of 1:4. Been using ALL that
leftover fines to level the yard. To me the biggest issue is the
amount of work,

time
and sore arms to get just a gallon of usable sand.

John
Austin, TX

That's basically the issue. I'm really bumming because a product I've

had

really
good luck with has changed. I can't think of the brand name, but it's

2-part
bedding for patios--larger (1") chunks of crushed stone, and a finer

stone. The
finer stone, once sifted, yielded about 50/50 usable stone. The
pieces

were about
1/8-1/4" and pointed. Nice medium gray color. Now the finer grade is

just garbage
in a bag of silt. :-(

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

****
****

****
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
-- --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
-- --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Harvey Fishman |
| A little heresy is good for the soul.
718-258-7276 |

Old 12-03-2003, 02:48 AM
John - NJ

Does anyone know where I can purchase these various bonsai soil
components in the New York metro area? New Jersey, New York, Eastern
PA, CT.

Thanks, John-NJ

Old 12-03-2003, 03:24 AM
Jim Lewis

wrote:

Oil Dri is made by the makers of Turface. I think its grain

size
is a bit smaller than Turface, and it may not have been fired

at
as high a temperature. I have never used it, but have been

told
that its consistency may not be as reliable as Turface and it
may, at times, be mushy when constantly wetted.

It is, however, better than kitty litter.

There are other options: Terra-Green, Mule Mix, Schultz's

Clay
Soil Conditioner (smaller particles, small package size and

more
costly per pound), or even Haydite (which is fired shale).

All have web sites (see the FAQ article I sent you yesterday

;-)

If you do a web search on the name of each of the soil components
(above), you will reach their main web pages. There may be a
list of suppliers there, or you can click on the "contact us"
button (or equivalent) and ask someone in the company who the
nearest dealers might be.

Old 12-03-2003, 04:02 AM
Neal Ross

I have been using the Schultzes Clay Soil Conditioner. I sent an e mail to
the makers of Turface and they replied that it is basically the same and it
is carried by most Wal Marts. I have also seen it at Orchard Supply and
Hardware in 40 lb bags for about $17-$20.

You can contact Turface at this webpage and see if they can tell you who
stocks it in your area

http://www.turface.com/

Good luck

--I crucified my hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA

Old 12-03-2003, 05:10 AM
Brent Walston

At 07:07 PM 3/11/03 -0500, Jim Lewis wrote:
How about the Oil Dry they sell at Tractor Supply real cheap?

Oil Dri is made by the makers of Turface. I think its grain size
is a bit smaller than Turface, and it may not have been fired at
as high a temperature. I have never used it, but have been told
that its consistency may not be as reliable as Turface and it
may, at times, be mushy when constantly wetted.

It is, however, better than kitty litter.

Jim, et al

There was an interesting article in the San Francisco Chronicle last week
on Oil Dri Inc. It seems they mine their product near Reno NV, not far from
Lake Tahoe. Their mining expansion was turned down by the local planning
dept and they sued all the way to Federal Appeals Court. Memos showed they
solicited the support of the Interior Dept since part of the venture was on
Federal Lands. The whole thing raised a big stink and an embarrassment on
the part of the Dept. which did end up filing a friend of the court brief.

The long and short of it is that Oil Dri products apparently are mined
similar to Akadama, not fired like other products, unless I am missing
something here.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Craig Cowing

Neal Ross wrote:

I have been using the Schultzes Clay Soil Conditioner. I sent an e mail to
the makers of Turface and they replied that it is basically the same and it
is carried by most Wal Marts. I have also seen it at Orchard Supply and
Hardware in 40 lb bags for about $17-$20.

You can contact Turface at this webpage and see if they can tell you who
stocks it in your area

http://www.turface.com/

Good luck

--I crucified my hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA

This is what I did when I was in Maine, and it turned out that the only distributor
for Turface in the state was about 2 miles from my house. I got it for half of the
retail price, at $10.75/bag. Too bad I discovered this just as I was getting ready
to move. Be sure to find out who is an official distributor, so they will sell it
at the wholesale price.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zopne 5b/6a