Old 10-08-2005, 02:20 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] new juniper - stressed - need help with plan of attack

In a message dated 8/9/2005 8:40:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Resist the urge to repot. I would wait to report until late winter
next year. Don't overwater. The fertilizer solution is OK. Stop fertilizer in
late Sept./early Oct. Start again about one month before repot.

generally pretty stressed

Where you have it is probably OK

- significant ant infestation... some tiny and some bigger (maybe
carpenter)

I would think this would be my first priority. The ants might not be a
problem once it is moved. The ants may not be in the pot, but in the soil
where it was sitting. If you determine that the ants are in the pot, I would use
a malathion drench. The ants will die or leave.

- poor root colonization

Typical in my experience. You might try something like Roots II.

- some dead foliage, some new growth

I would trim off the dead foliage, but nothing more.

- single live vein resting on 2x4

OK, not a problem for now

- lots of deadwood that hasn't been treated

Don't worry about this for at least a year.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-08-2005, 08:16 PM
John Dhom

thx info.

Will do a more detailed inspection tonight and treat for ants.

John