Old 19-08-2005, 07:16 PM

Default [IBC] Prunus Mume

Somebody suggested Prunus mume as a substitute for Prunus spinosa (sloe) for
bonsai. I would veto that for much of the US. I found that P. mume does very
poorly in hot dry summer weather. The leaves turn to schmatehs (rags).
I don't know yet about other climatic hurdles, but my new 'Hally Jolivette'
withstood this summer's barbaric dry heat admirably. It grew steadily, and only
had perhaps a handful of yellow leaves. Of course it is not wild looking,
since it has singly borne, semi-double flowers, but as Jim pointed out, there are
many wild native American cherries.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Michael Persiano

Iris:

Prunus mume is an challenging and rewarding specimen for bonsai culture. The foliage can be managed during hot weather by both shading the tree and pinching away damaged leaves.

I selectively defoliate prunus throughout the entire growing season. The true beauty of the tree is revealed in the February timeframe (in the northeastern US) when its blossoms open and scent the surrounding area.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

Somebody suggested Prunus mume as a substitute for Prunus spinosa (sloe) for
bonsai. I would veto that for much of the US. I found that P. mume does very
poorly in hot dry summer weather. The leaves turn to schmatehs (rags).
I don't know yet about other climatic hurdles, but my new 'Hally Jolivette'
withstood this summer's barbaric dry heat admirably. It grew steadily, and only
had perhaps a handful of yellow leaves. Of course it is not wild looking,
since it has singly borne, semi-double flowers, but as Jim pointed out, there
are
many wild native American cherries.
Iris

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 19-08-2005, 09:14 PM
John Quinn

I have two prunus mume...they tolerate the hot South Carolina summers pretty
well, just giving them a bit of mid day shade.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-08-2005, 02:21 AM

The foliage can be managed during hot weather by both shading the tree and
pinching away damaged leaves.

Not around here. You are closer to the coast, where the humidity is higher.
In central NY, although we don't have quite as much heat, summer weather can be
extremely dry & windy. We are on the edge of the Continental climate. The
apricot did not have any undamaged leaves. By midsummer, the tree was a mess.
Besides, it never bloomed (it was seed-grown) and was subject to borers. I
sold it at the club auction & haven't seen it since. I haven't seen any Prunus
mume in the Rochester or Mid-Atlantic shows. Somebody in Rochester has a
gorgeous Hally Jolivette, & you occasionally see other flowering cherries, so we are
not deprived.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 8/19/2005 9:21:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, IrisCohen
writes:

The foliage can be managed during hot weather by both shading the tree and
pinching away damaged leaves.

Not around here. You are closer to the coast, where the humidity is higher.
In central NY, although we don't have quite as much heat, summer weather can
be extremely dry & windy. We are on the edge of the Continental climate. The
apricot did not have any undamaged leaves. By midsummer, the tree was a mess.
Besides, it never bloomed (it was seed-grown) and was subject to borers. I
sold it at the club auction & haven't seen it since. I haven't seen any Prunus
mume in the Rochester or Mid-Atlantic shows. Somebody in Rochester has a
gorgeous Hally Jolivette, & you occasionally see other flowering cherries, so we
are not deprived.
Iris

Iris:

No matter where the tree is grown, Prunue mume will be a challenge for the
most experienced of practitioners. The conspicuous absence of Prunus mume is
easily explained: they cannot be legal imported into the US, and they were
quite costly when entry was legal (many years ago).

For those who work with Prunus mume, a sustained feeding program will help
the tree to tolerate summer heat and Sahara-like winds. Shade and wind
shielding during these periods will mitigate leaf damage; however, the tree can be
completely defoliated in mid-to-late spring.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 20-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Kev Bailey

When I suggested Prunus mume, I was going on my experience, which admittedly
only takes in Japan and the UK. I have also read this though:

"Although a rare tree in the trade, Prunus mume is by no means impossible to
find. Several good cultivars are available. W.B. Clarke, an American
hybridizer, named three of the most readily available to American gardeners.
'Peggy Clarke' is a double-flowering cultivar with rose-pink petals crowned
with a bright red calyx. 'Rosemary Clarke', a particularly early
double-flowered bloomer, is white with a red calyx, and 'W.B. Clarke' is a
graceful weeping form with double pink flowers.

Particularly unusual and hard-to-find is the contorted form, Prunus mume
'Contorta'. Although there are many Japanese varieties in cultivation, in
this country 'Kobai', with deep red semi-double flowers, is probably the
least difficult to find. The species itself, with single flowers and a color
range from white to pink, is the most readily available in American
nurseries." In a very good article I found on the web from Plants & Gardens
News Volume 10, Number 4 | Winter 1995 by T. Meghan Ray

You can see the whole article here if you are interested.
http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/plant...midwinter.html

I thought that if it is a recommended garden plant in the USA it should be
doable as bonsai, given the right treatment. It is certainly worth the
effort, in my estimation. I'll try to post some pics of flowering ones from
Japan last February on the gallery later.

Cheers

Kev Bailey

It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger 7.0 today!
http://messenger.msn.co.uk

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Tiziano

Michael Persiano wrote:

Not around here. You are closer to the coast, where the humidity is higher.
In central NY, although we don't have quite as much heat, summer weather can
be extremely dry & windy. We are on the edge of the Continental climate. The
apricot did not have any undamaged leaves. By midsummer, the tree was a mess.
Besides, it never bloomed (it was seed-grown) and was subject to borers. I
sold it at the club auction & haven't seen it since. I haven't seen any Prunus
mume in the Rochester or Mid-Atlantic shows. Somebody in Rochester has a
gorgeous Hally Jolivette, & you occasionally see other flowering cherries, so we
are not deprived.
Iris

I agree with Michael
I have mine since 15 years about and is fine
and bloom every year
in between Xristmas to St Valentine
It needs a lot of vaporization on blossoms when
growing in december & not be taken inside
otherwise will wither
Mine has been severy damaged this last july
after defoliation ,when new leaves formed a and
hail detroyed the plum to 2/3
some little twig survived probably will have no
blossoms this winther
I live in zone 7
greetings
Tiziano

Old 21-08-2005, 03:33 PM

In a message dated 8/21/05 12:03:16 AM, Michael writes:
The conspicuous absence of Prunus mume is easily explained: they cannot be
legal imported into the US,

However, they are now grown here. Greer Gardens & Evergreen Gardenworks sell
them all the time. It's the challenge part that accounts for its absence.

When I started with bonsai, I wanted to grow an almond tree, because of its
significance for Jewish Arbor Day. However, I found that the species is prone
to crown gall, so fuhgeddaboutit. Hally Jolivette, although not troublefree, is
a much more amenable substitute, & blooms at the right time of year.
Whatever floats your boat. Those of us with limited time, energy, & resources
are going to stick with the easier & cheaper species. If we want to bang our
heads against the wall of futility, we buy another serissa.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Kitsune Miko

When nurseries still had going out of business sales I picked up a 15 gal prunus mume "bonsai" double flowering. Yes, it has its problems, but there is nothing like it as the first flowers of spring.

Kits

wrote:
[...]

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 21-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Craig Cowing

On Aug 21, 2005, at 1:27 PM, Kitsune Miko wrote:

When nurseries still had going out of business sales I picked up a 15
gal prunus mume "bonsai" double flowering. Yes, it has its problems,
but there is nothing like it as the first flowers of spring.

Kits

I have one that I bought last year at Nature's Way in Harrisburg PA. It
survived the coldest winter they've had here in some time. (one night
was -18F) It was well-insulated in a bed of leaves right next to the
foundation of the house. It's doing pretty well this summer despite the
dryness. Only thing is it took forever to leave out, and it didn't
flower. I thought for awhile that it was dead, but it's doing great
now. I don't have it in full sun all day, just partial shade.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 22-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Theo

Kitsune Miko wrote:

When nurseries still had going out of business

sales I picked up a 15 gal prunus mume "bonsai" double

flowering. Yes, it has its problems, but there is

nothing like it as the first flowers of spring.

Kits

Hi I never had problems whatsoever with prunus
mume , my is simple flower and reddish pink quite
perfumed
just need a fresh calcar soil hates acidic and
a deep pot

very seldom I had some red spider and nothing
else at all beside of its flowering period it is
a very common tree

THEO
POST TENEBRAS LUX

Think like an Alien might think

http://groups.google.it/group/free.it.arte.bonsai
http://www.easybonsai.altervista.org/

Prunus mume K United Kingdom 7 12-03-2007 01:33 PM
[IBC] Prunning Flowering quince and Prunus mume Claudio Fierro Bonsai 5 01-11-2004 11:10 PM
[IBC] Pruning Flowering quince and Prunus mume Michael Persiano Bonsai 1 01-11-2004 11:08 AM
[IBC] Prunning Flowering quince and Prunus mume Claudio Fierro Bonsai 0 31-10-2004 01:55 AM
[IBC] Prunus mume from seed David J. Bockman Bonsai 4 25-05-2003 02:08 AM