GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] New Ficus growing root from it's upper branches (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/101846-re-%5Bibc%5D-new-ficus-growing-root-its-upper-branches.html)

Steven Wachs 25-08-2005 03:40 PM

[IBC] New Ficus growing root from it's upper branches

Hi.

I'm completely new to Bonsai trees but have always been interested in them.
Recently, I was given a ficus which I noticed is growing a long root from
one of it's upper branches. It consists of one thin root which then splits
into about 5 more roots, and they're running along the soil. Should I leave
it 'dig in' or not?

Some Ficus do that. They are referred to strangler fig I believe. The roots
if allowed to grow will eventually reach the soil and thicken, so depending on
whether the roots are in a position to enhance the overall appearance of
the tree that may determine whether you keep the roots

SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++