Old 14-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Shelly Hurd

Default Wisteria

Well folks, I love it when someone gets a chance to prove all the nay-sayers
and so called experts incorrect. Back in 1995 I foolishly (they said)
planted wisteria seeds. I also air-layered flowering branches from very
large stock at the same time. Of course I was told that the plants grown
from seed would NEVER bloom. I pondered this, kind of like the chicken and
egg thing. Two of three plants were subjected to benign torture all last
year. I left them sitting in about 2 to 3 inches of water all season (the
third was my control, and treated like the air-layers - watered properly,
feed regularly, etc.). So, I'm out looking around just now and what do I
find?? TWO FLOWERS ON ONE OF THE TEST PLANTS. The second test plant may
also have flower buds, but I need a little more time to be sure. The
air-layers have never flowered shrug but may - I repeat -may- this season,
and my control seedling could, but it's too early to tell.

Moral of story: Even the experts can be wrong, dogma not withstanding. If
you want to try something - TRY IT. If you never attempt anything new, you
can only fail.

Regards and pictures to follow on the gallery,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

[IBC] wisteria luc tran Bonsai 2 23-03-2003 05:20 PM
Wisteria Question Lilly Gardening 10 19-02-2003 03:27 AM
Wisteria! Cereoid+10 Gardening 0 23-01-2003 07:28 PM
Wisteria!! GrampysGurl Gardening 1 23-01-2003 06:09 PM
Wisteria and buildings Tim Lund United Kingdom 4 22-10-2002 07:35 PM