Old 04-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Carol

Default [IBC] Fertilizing bonsai in late summer and early fall

I read that during the second half of August and September it's a good
idea to use a fertilizer that is low in nitrogen (or without nitrogen),
and I purchased a plant food for tomatoes. The analysis on the package
shows 4-7-10. Now I'm wondering how to apply it - in granular form or
mixed with water - and if mixed with water what should the ratio be?

The instructions on the package say that for a potted [tomato] plant use
one teaspoon for 4 inches of pot diameter and apply every 10 to 14
days. If anyone uses a similar plant food, I would appreciate any advice.

With thanks,

Carol Schroeder
Maryland, Zone 6/7

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Jim Lewis

Carol wrote:
I read that during the second half of August and September it's a good
idea to use a fertilizer that is low in nitrogen (or without nitrogen),
and I purchased a plant food for tomatoes. The analysis on the package
shows 4-7-10. Now I'm wondering how to apply it - in granular form or
mixed with water - and if mixed with water what should the ratio be?

The instructions on the package say that for a potted [tomato] plant use
one teaspoon for 4 inches of pot diameter and apply every 10 to 14
days. If anyone uses a similar plant food, I would appreciate any advice.

If your maples suddenly sprout tomatoes, don't blame us! :-)

I'd follow the label instructions. I also wouldn't worry
much about the low/no nitrogen thing. Trees use what they need.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Marty Haber

Hi Carol - You are about to see tomatoes growing on your junipers!
Well, not really: but what you really want at this time of year is a
fertilizer which is high in Phosphorous. I use super-phosphate, but the
ashes from your charcoal grill will do the job too.
Just use it sparingly. A light dusting on the surface of your bonsai is
sufficient. Then water it in. As for the tomato fertilizer, I can't see
that it will harm any of your acid-loving trees if used sparingly on them.
Best regards,
Marty
[...]

Triangle Gardener’s end of Summer / early Fall Update thread Daniel B. Martin North Carolina 0 15-09-2014 09:09 PM
Fall Fertilizing Keith Corwell Lawns 1 18-10-2008 05:46 PM
Fall Fertilizing Ablang Gardening 7 14-09-2005 05:07 AM
When is it too late for grass fertilizing in Spring Barry Andrews Gardening 11 03-05-2005 04:42 AM
When to start water / fertilizing established bulbs for the fall? Pelvis Popcan Gardening 1 24-08-2003 07:42 PM