GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] elm winterizing (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/104413-%5Bibc%5D-elm-winterizing.html)

home 08-09-2005 03:14 PM

[IBC] elm winterizing

i have a couple seiju and parvifolia and i'm in northeast pennsylvania near philadelphia. (Zone 6 i think). i put my plants under a clear heavy plastic coldframe in the winter. can i leave them outside through the winter of should i bring them inside?
thanks for any help you can provide.
dale

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Pauline Muth 08-09-2005 03:35 PM

WInter is not a problem for them. I cold store them in Zone 4. Be sure to
clean
up all the fallen leaves befores storing them.
Pauline Zone 4

Michael Persiano 08-09-2005 04:17 PM

Dale:

Put them in a cold garage. I am afraid that the clear heavy plastic will generate too much heat in the winter and disturb their dormancy.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob
From the Suburbs of Philadelphia

Pauline Muth 08-09-2005 04:45 PM

Interesting...I have not had this problem. I even have one growing in the
ground outside my greenhouse.
Of couse my elm bonsai is well protected from all wind for winter.
Pauline
It can become a problem if the fine ramifications are damaged through
winter dieback. My preference for Elms is to store them in temperatures
ranging from 34-40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob