Old 15-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Claudio Fierro

Default [IBC] Acer palmatum

Hello everybody, I'm asking again for help. 1 1/2 years ago my wife
gave me as a present a beautiful acer palmatum, with excelent foliage,
perfect leaves.
During the first summer the leaves becomme dry, at the nursery they
told me it was because of too much direct sunlight. For this season I
preapared a frame with a net (we call them kiwi net, because it's used
for this trees) for shadow. It worked great, and the leaves were ok for
longer time (all spring and almost all summer too). Now my problem is
the tip of the leaves become brown and dry, it doesn't affect the
complete leave (most of times), but they look ugly and affect the look
of the tree (and I don't know how far also it's health). Can anyone
give me reasons for that (pests, too windy, etc)?
Thanks a lot everybody.

Claudio Fierro Neudörfer, Chile.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 15-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Jim Lewis

[...]

In Chile, you're approaching fall. If you live in the warmer
(northern) parts of Chile, even shade may not be enough to keep
A. palmatum leaves looking good all summer long.

It's almost certain that what you are seeing is nothing more than
worn out, old-age leaves. It will not affect the health of the
tree. You still may see some nice fall color with them, too, so
don't do anything drastic.

There may not be anything you can do to prevent it, because if
you keep the tree out of ALL sun or wind it's not going to
thrive, either. I'm in the same situation. I live at just about
the southern limit of where A. palmatum will survive. I have a
small one, but after midsummer it's nothing to brag on.

Good luck, but I wouldn't worry about disease or bugs. It's just
the Japanese maple's way of behaving.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Iris Cohen

Now my problem is the tip of the leaves become brown and dry, it doesn't
affect the complete leave (most of times), but they look ugly and affect the
look of the tree (and I don't know how far also it's health)

Maples & other thin leaved species are very susceptible to leaf scorch. You
don't want to give it too much shade, as that will defeat some of the other
bonsai processes. Try to get hold of a product called Pro-TeKt from Dyna-Gro,
or the chemical Potassium silicate. This works wonders for me, & we have very
dry windy summers. Meanwhile, see if you can erect some sort of windbreak
without further reducing the amount of sun. Make sure the tree is adequately
watered without overwatering.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 15-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Steve wachs

I have had a similar problem m with Japanese Maples. For my trees it appears
to be due to the wind. I find it happens more often when I bring a tree
outdoors that's already leafed out. When I leaf prune, the new leaves seem
to hold up better
SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Theo

some maple are more sensitive than others to strong sun so a screen as you did is
ok.. the humidity around is quite important to avoid this drying problem .. , when
a hot spell is around I spry leaves early in the morning and before sunset in the
evening to avoid mildew that occurs in some breeds .. but TOO much water/
dampness in the soil also makes leave tips dry you need to search the requirements
of the species you have
I had a Desojo maple that had this problems for years and lately I put it in
direct sun and it was perfect all summer untill fall included
do not fertilize after end of june as to provok vivid colors in the autumn and
use acidified water ( tea for example or water that passed trought peat )
Theo