Old 15-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Robert O'Brien

Default [IBC] Hemlock repot ?

Hey folks...I am considering repotting a collected hemlock next weekend...I
think it is a little early for me , the buds haven't really started to swell
yet...but Im not planning any root work other than old soil removal. I'ts
been recovering in it's current pot for 3 years , and I would lke to get a
look at the roots and put it into some better soil. I wasn't sure if maybe it
might not be good for the tree to do it early ?...we're s'posed to have
warmer temps all week ( 40's anyway ! ) Next saturday I'm doing a workshop
and thought it would be ideal to have other more experienced eyes on it
while I repot. Any thoughts ?...good bad ? thanks so much....BobO zone
5/6-western Ma.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

My first thought: If you think it's "a little early" then it
probably is.

Given the weather we've had this winter, I'd bet you have more
cold weather after your "warmer" temps next week.

You cannot Un-kill a tree; I think I'd assume that if the needles
haven't fallen off the roots are fine and I (you) should wait.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-03-2003, 04:56 PM
DouglasTaylor

Hi Robert O
Are you taking the transplanting workshop on the 22nd at N.E. Bonsai
with John Romano? If you are and you decide to re-pot your hemlock most
books I've read suggests protecting the tree from frost/freezing after
re-re-potting. If you don't have facilities to protect the tree after
re-potting I suggest you ask them at N.E. Bonsai to care for your tree in
one of there cold greenhouses that they keep above freezing until May 15th,
our last frost date. Make sure the tree is totally thawed out before trying
to re-pot it. It is no fun finding a chunk of ice in the center of the pot
that makes re-re-potting impossible. Probe the existing pot with a chopstick
or some other long thin implement, you will know when you hit a block of
ice.

Doug Taylor

Old 15-03-2003, 05:08 PM
DouglasTaylor

and this little pig cried re-re-re all the way home.

I don't know how that extra re got in my previous post I guess I should
Re-Re-Read my post before I hit send.

Should Re-pot be hyphenated?

Keep an eye out for the spelling police for me. Let me know if they are
coming so I can hide behind the fridge.

Back to lurking
Doug

To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 05:31 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 06:32 AM
[IBC] Canadian Hemlock Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 2 03-05-2004 04:03 PM
[IBC] AirLayering Eastern Hemlock? Al Polanco Bonsai 0 29-05-2003 08:32 AM
[IBC] *** [IBC] Hemlock repot ? Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 15-03-2003 07:44 PM