Old 16-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] first collected tree of the season

While I was waiting for my trees in winter storage to thaw out, I
thought I'd go after a tree I've had my eye on since last fall. It's a
red maple, and was on the side of the road down the road from my house.
It had been cut back to a stump a number of years ago by a road crew,
and the main branches that are coming out of the stump were cut back
again last year. So, I didn't think the road crews would miss whacking
it again next year. It has a fantastic root base since it was growing
on top of rocks at the edge of the road, and four or five main trunks
coming up from the stump. The trunk caliper at the base is almost six
inches. No idea of age. A great way to start the collecting season.
My wife said "are you my husband or one of the boys?" when I came in
after dumping my prize in a snow bank, covered with mud from the waist
down.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Al Polanco

Wasn't the ground completely frozen?
How did you dig it out in this weather ?

Al
North Salem, NY
Zone 6/sunset zone 37

Old 16-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Craig Cowing

Al Polanco wrote:

Wasn't the ground completely frozen?
How did you dig it out in this weather ?

Al
North Salem, NY
Zone 6/sunset zone 37

The ground isn't frozen here. It was at the edge of the ditch. It was nearly 60
degrees today, so we're in a good thaw.
Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a