Old 16-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Tokyo

I am headed to Tokyo the end of the month. Any ideas of things
to do?

You can't be bored!

Tokyo Green Club in Ueno, Tokyo. This is bonsai central for
Tokyo. They often have shows on weekends and there's a nice
shop, with trees, pots, tools, books and magazines.

Get off the JR train at Ueno
station. Walk along the LEFT side of Ueno park (between the park
and the lake. Take the walkway across the lake (to the left) to
the upper left corner of the lake. Walk straight ahead for a
block or two; then ask for "bonsai, desuka?" and someone will
point your way. There is a large bonsai shop there and often are
bonsai exhibits in the Green Club building itself. I don't know
the schedule for the summer. Peter???

Takagi Bonsai Museum, Ichigaya, Tokyo. Get off train at JR
Ichigaya station. With the moat/canal at your back, cross the
street, past the subway exit. Go straight 1/2 block, past a bank
(I forget which one -- Yokohama, I think). The museum is on a
little street to the left behind the bank. Its entrance is
guarded by two impressive statuary lions (or dogs). Call ahead
and I understand there can be someone there who speaks a little
English (tel: (03) 3221-0006 ) to take you around. We were
unaware of that on our visit -- unfortunately.

And then, of course, there is Omiya Bonsai Village. Take the
Nagano train out
of Tokyo Station. We did NOT go there (but passed it several
times on the train).

There are several very nice, large gardens in Tokyo. Hama-rikyu
Gardens from the 17th century. East of the Shinbashi station on
the Sumida River. Go EARLY in the morning (6 o'clock or even
earlier) and visit the nearby Tsukuji fish market, the largest in
the world and have some raw fish for breakfast, then wander over
to the garden and spend the rest of the morning. There is a
cruise of the Sumida River that goes between the garden and a
dock in Asakusa every hour or so.

One train station farther on (Hamamatsucho station) and within
walking distance of Hama-rikyu (walk south from the entrance
about 3 blocks, past the theater to a main street, Turn west
until you come to the train overpass, then follow it to the
station. The park (Kyu-Shiba-rikyo Garden) is immediately to the
west of the station. It is one of the loveliest in Tokyo.

Ninomaru Garden is part of the Imperial Palace grounds that are
open to the public. Most of the ground are in a pseudo-western
garden style and are rather pedestrian, but Ninomaru garden is
exquisite.

There is a small garden in Asakusa, near the Kwannon temple that
you must visit. You need permission from the temple, through.

Behind the big, imposing Yasukuni Jinja Shinto shrine is an
intimate little tea garden - Buddhist garden that, if the
reconstruction has finished is one of the prettiest places in
Tokyo.

Ueno shrine is worth a visit. They often have bonsai or ikebana
on display near the entrance.

Visit Asakusa and Asakasa (they're different) for views of old
and new-trendy Japan.

Many if not most of the Ginza or Nihonbashi Department Stores
have bonsai and some bonsai supplies. You'll usually find them
on the top floor or roof. These will be pricey, but are
surprisingly nice trees. None will be particularly well
maintained and you will have to fight to keep yourself from
pinching and trimming. Visit Ginza Morimae, just down the street
from Mitsukoshi Department store. You can't afford a thing
there, but it's fun to look.

I recommend the Open Road Publishing's "Tokyo Guide" for info on
other gardens. And Frommer's "Tokyo" outshines Fodors or any of
the other guides that I've seen.

In Kamakura, there is a nice small garden at the Hase Kannon
Temple. Walking through the streets of Kamakura (and wander some
of the narrow back ways if you have time), keep an eye out for
bonsai in people's front yards. You should see several on the
small, narrow-gauge train ride from the JR station to the Great
Daibutsu (Buddha).

I regret that on our last trip to Japan, we didn't get to Nikko,
but an ailing elderly companion precluded that side trip. Next
time (the memory of and effects of that gawdawful flight are
gradually wearing away to the point that I MIGHT consider another
trip). I spent many pleasant weeks in Nikko when we lived in
Tokyo.

Learn to eat at the streetside cafes -- Yakitori chicken or
noodles of
one kind or another, beef or seafood -- and stay away from Kobe
beef!

Be certain to get a Japan Rail Pass if you're going to be there
two weeks or more. It lets you go anywhere on JR trains, buses,
and subways, in-city and inter-city. It's not worth it if you're
only going to be there a week. You can't possibly ride often
enough to pay for it. You get those HERE before you leave.
Check the Japan Travel Bureau web site for info or search for
Japan Rail Pass.

Enjoy.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "I like
trees because they seem more resigned to the way they have to
live than other things do." -- Willa Cather

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-03-2003, 01:20 AM
John - NJ

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:51:59 -0500, Jim Lewis
wrote:

and stay away from Kobe beef!

Why? Just curious.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Jim Lewis

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:51:59 -0500, Jim Lewis

wrote:

and stay away from Kobe beef!

Why? Just curious.

In no particular order:

1. It is 70% FAT, marbled throughout, so you can't cut it off
like in a "normal" steak. So it will contribute to your premature
death.
2. It is (usually) cut in such thin slices, you might as well be
eating bacon.
3. A 4- 6-oz meal (bite) will cost you about $100 - $150. (and
then, there's the rest of the meal).
4. So much more Japanese food is tastier, cheaper, and better
for you.

David Thoreau - Walden

[IBC] Tokyo -- cheap! Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 27-01-2005 03:23 AM
[IBC] Tokyo John & Lex Oldland Bonsai 1 22-03-2003 06:20 PM
Pictures From Tokyo Dome Orchid Show George Orchids 1 18-03-2003 04:20 AM
Tokyo Todd H. Slaughter Bonsai 0 16-03-2003 06:32 PM
Tokyo Todd H. Slaughter Bonsai 0 16-03-2003 06:08 PM