Old 17-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] air layering

I'm preparing to do some air layerings this summer ( for first
time in my
life)!
I'll try to do 'em on few hornbeams and oaks and birches...so

if someone
could tell me how long (aprox.) does it take for hornbeam to

root when i'm
air layering it!???
same question stands for birch and oak...A L S O!

Birches ought to be fairly quick -- a couple of months. Hornbeam
may take all summer. I have my doubts about oaks.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Zvonimir

Can you please be more specific. What should I do
to make it work? The tree is in a forrest, and has one
great branch. The branch is about 6-7 cm in
diameter.

Thanks,

Zvonimir from Croatia

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
In a message dated 3/31/03 4:09:58 AM,

writes:

Is it possible to air layer a pine tree. It han one

beautyfull
branch.

Zvonimir from Croatia

Yes.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

But it will NOT be easy.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Our life is
David Thoreau - Walden

****

****

Old 31-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Only that pines are difficult to air layer. I would never try to
layer one in a forest over which I had no control and which I
could not visit regularly to ensure that the layer stayed damp
but not wet -- especially for the length of time it will take for
roots to appear on a layered pine -- sometimes a matter of more
than a year.

I MIGHT try to layer a pine that _I_ was growing in MY yard (or
in another pot). But even so, the chances of success (at least
for me, who has little feeling for pines) are so slim I probably
wouldn't try it.

However, you have nothing to lose but a little time and work. I
suggest you get a horticultural reference BOOK that explains the
process of layering in some detail. www.evergreengardenworks.com
has an on-line article, I believe, but I suspect it doesn't refer
to pines.

I _certainly_ would practice on several easier species of plant
before I tried a pine -- elms are an excellent practice Genus, as
are Rhododendron.

Good luck.

David Thoreau - Walden

writes:

Is it possible to air layer a pine tree. It han one

beautyfull
branch.

Zvonimir from Croatia

Yes.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

But it will NOT be easy.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Our life

is
David Thoreau - Walden

***********
****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Evergreen

Gardenworks++++

***********
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

***************

Old 25-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Jim Lewis

Brent -- www.evergreengardenworks.com -- has excellent info on
layering, etc. Check the IBC Knowledge Base (address below) for
an illustrated how-to. The process is the same for all trees.

In eastern N.C. anytime after ALL danger of frost is past should
be OK.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Keith wrote:

I want to do some air layering on some Maples and Junipers,

when is the
appropriate time of year?

Keith
Eastern N.C.
zone 7/8

apparently now in spring until june and it should be ok

within 3 -5 months
I have asked a similar question unbder Katsura maple ail

layering but
nobody answered
do you know how to do it ?

or ICQ 25 666 169 4

L'Umiltą č la Peggiore delle Presunzioni (la Rochefocault)

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that

genius has its
limits."
-Albert Einstein

***************

***************

Old 25-04-2004, 04:09 PM
marty haber

You're a bit late in Eastern N.C., but still have a little window left. Get
cracking, Keith!
Marty

Old 25-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Kitsune Miko

Like anything in bonsai, it depends on your
microclimate. In Norhern California, since there is
normally a mild winter, I can and do airlayer at any
time. It takes longer if the temperature is colder
and if the tree is less active in its grownth pattern.

Spring is the first best time, summer is possible, and
when the tree is pre-dormant is another possibility.

I remove an area of bark and cambium that is 3 times
as long as the tree is wide at the point of the
airlayer. (i.e. a one inch twig is cleared of 3
inches of bark and cambium). I then apply a light
dusting of hormone powder to the top cut only (too
much and the tree will repair rather than root.)

Then I apply a damp clump of spagnum moss again about
3 times the width of the airlayered area. I cover
this with plastic tied tighlty at the bottom, but
loose enough at the top to allow watering. I wrap the
area with string so that the moss is in tight contact
with the tree to keep the moisture attached to the
cut.

e are some that like black plastic over clear,
reflective foil over either, but where I live, I
haven' found this makes a difference.

There is also the method where a pot that is ample
enough in size to generously cover the airlayer area,
is cut to fit around the airlayer, tied and taped into
place, and filled with a medium that would promote
root growth. You have to water this type more often
than the plastic wrap, but this is better for older
wood airlayers.

Mature wood, with established bark, may take longer to
root than bark still green. some trees root more
eaisly than others. Heat encourages rooting, (sun on
black plastic or a black pot) but too much heat is not
a good thing.

Some trees root better than others.

Patience, patience, patience. I have gotten things to
root, but was too vigerous in my removal and potting,
so lost the airlayer.

Kitsune Miko

--- Theo wrote:
Keith wrote:

I want to do some air layering on some Maples and

Junipers, when is the
appropriate time of year?

Keith
Eastern N.C.
zone 7/8

apparently now in spring until june and it should
be ok within 3 -5 months
I have asked a similar question unbder Katsura
maple ail layering but
nobody answered
do you know how to do it ?

or ICQ 25 666 169 4

L'Umiltą č la Peggiore delle Presunzioni (la
Rochefocault)

"The difference between genius and stupidity
is that genius has its
limits."
-Albert Einstein

++++Sponsored, in part, by John
Quinn++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
"Art does not take kindly to facts, is helpless to grapple with theories, and is killed outright by a sermon." Agnes Ropplier
(added to the above)
"How many things in life do we bludgeon with facts, render helpless
with theories, and kill with sermons? If art can help us go beyond
these patterns, we certainly need it in our lives."
Anne Wilson Schaef
From, "Women Who Do Too Much Calandar 2004."

Old 25-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Theo

Kitsune Miko wrote:

Like anything in bonsai, it depends on your
microclimate.

Thanks to all of you for your contribution