Old 25-09-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Bonsai for a Hobbit Hole, high school

Is it possible to grow bonsai outside, in the ground, and maintain the
small height?

I've written before. I teach at a high school. Our Ecology Club
landscaped an internal courtyard and constructed a Hobbit Hole, with a
round green door, windows, etc. It looks really nice.

I have two bonsai of my own, a variegated Serissa and a fukien tea
teeny
leaf. I'm considering some junipers for around the hobbit hole. The
dirt mound stands roughly 4 ft high. Bonsai would look very nice.
Perhaps they should be kept outside but in pots, pots buried under
mulch
of sorts.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

Old 26-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Kev Bailey

I would suggest you grow a genetic dwarf variety. There are many dwarf
conifers that are extremely slow growing and can be styled with minimal
effort. The problem with Serrissa etc is that they will need constant
attention if they aren't to turn into a bush.

Something like Cryptomeria japonica vilmoriniana?

Cheers

Kev Bailey
N Wales, UK, Zone 9

Is it possible to grow bonsai outside, in the ground, and maintain the
small height?

MSN Messenger 7.5 is now out. Download it for FREE here.
http://messenger.msn.co.uk

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++