Old 27-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Michel Bourgeois

Default [IBC] Non organic Yamadori soil

Hi,

I have 6 realy nice and huge yamadori I am going to make and I want to pot
them in fast growing soil.

For this I want to use a non-organic soil, using fertilizer cake and water
with fish emulsion. I don't mind watering 3 times a day. Like in this post:

http://internetbonsaiclub.org/compon...133/topic,5966
..0/

Here in Canada I can't find any pumice, haydite.

I have this:

- Hard Akadama (double line brand)

- Turface

- River sand

- Virginia pine bark (wich I won't use for my non-organic soil)

What do you suggest? I could get perlite. Maybe I could get black lava rock.
but with difficulties.

Thank you,

Michel

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Michael Persiano

Mon Ami:

If you want a source for haydite, contact http://www.youkoubonsai.com/
and tell Keith I sent you.

However, the mix that you are suggesting, Hard Akadama (double line brand), Turface, River sand, and Virginia pine bark should be fine. Equal parts of each should work well. If you are going to use this mix with fertilizer cakes, be certain to lightly rake the surface of the root pad once every 2-3 weeks to ensure water penetration.

I would suggest that you not use lava stone or perlite for bonsai culture.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Steven Peterson

Hi,

While you're discussing soil, I wonder what you would think about using Oil Dri in a bonsai mix. I read somewhere somebody recommended it.

Also, what sand is appropriate? I've only found "all-purpose" sand at hardware stores. I thought I would need something fairly coarse.

Thanks,
Steve

Philadelphia, Pa

************************************************* *******************************

Old 27-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Steven Peterson wrote:
Hi,

While you're discussing soil, I wonder what you would
think about using Oil Dri in a bonsai mix. I read
somewhere somebody recommended it.

Many folks use Oil Dri; I've heard reports that it (like
some Kitty Litters) is of mixed quality and that some of it
turns into goo on occasion.

Also, what sand is appropriate? I've only found
"all-purpose" sand at hardware stores. I thought I would
need something fairly coarse.

Coarse sand blasting sand is OK. Swimming pool filter sand
in the coarser sizes (if you can find it these days) also works.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 27-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Tiziano

Michael Persiano wrote:

River sand, and Virginia pine bark should be
fine. Equal parts of each should work well. If
you are going to use this mix with fertilizer
cakes, be certain to lightly rake the surface of
the root pad once every 2-3 weeks to ensure water
penetration.

I would suggest that you not use lava stone or perlite for bonsai culture.

Hi Michael
may I ask why not to use lava stone ? what do
you mean by lava stone, the light floating
pumice or the pouzzolane that is more coarse and
heavy ?
thanks

Old 27-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Michael Persiano

Tiziano:

I have had many individuals bring me trees with root zone problems related to the "fines" in lava stone-based soil mixes. The "fines" seem to create drainage problems.

For this reason, I am not an advocate of the reddish lava stone mixes that I have seen.

I have not used or seen possolana, but I understand that it is chestnut to gray in color, porous, and fast draining. This sounds like it might be a good component for soil mixes.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

Old 27-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Michel Bourgeois

Michael:

Should I use pine bark? Because I don't want any organic in the soil... so
if you tell me to use barks there certainly a good raison.

Thank you,

Michel

****

Old 28-09-2005, 02:15 AM
Jim Gremel

On Sep 27, 2005, at 3:13 PM, Michael Persiano wrote:

I have had many individuals bring me trees with root zone problems
related to the "fines" in lava stone-based soil mixes. The "fines"
seem to create drainage problems.

For this reason, I am not an advocate of the reddish lava stone mixes
that I have seen.

Red (or, less commonly, brown, or black) lava is a common ingredient in
bonsai soils used in Northern California. I agree that the fines will
cause problems, but once they are screened out or washed away, the
stone doesn't break down further. (

I use a hose & nozzle to spray my 5/16 lava over a screen, one shovel
full at a time.
Jim

Old 28-09-2005, 02:51 AM
Roger Snipes

Michael,

I'm not sure what sort of lava-stone based mixes you have seen, but I and
most others around here use the red lava rock as our primary soil
ingredient. Once it has been screened, as one must do with most soil mix
ingredients, it has no more fines than anything else. The remaining fines
are a function of the size of screen one uses.

I find red lava rock to be a quite satisfactory soil component, whether used
straight, or in combination with other ingredients.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. USA. Zone 5-ish

Old 28-09-2005, 03:08 AM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 9/27/2005 9:51:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Michael,

I'm not sure what sort of lava-stone based mixes you have seen, but I and
most others around here use the red lava rock as our primary soil
ingredient. Once it has been screened, as one must do with most soil mix
ingredients, it has no more fines than anything else. The remaining fines
are a function of the size of screen one uses.

I find red lava rock to be a quite satisfactory soil component, whether used
straight, or in combination with other ingredients.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. USA. Zone 5-ish

Soil composition and soil appearance are critical factors for me. Turface,
bark, haydite, and coarse sand are used with all of my trees with the
exception of my Japanese Pines, which are potted in pure soft Akadama. All soils
are screened prior to potting. As stated, I have only seen the bad side of
using unscreened lava stone.

As for soil appearance, my preference is to use more neutral soil colors for
inclusion in my bonsai photography for books and magazines. This is not at
all related to soil function.

Those of you who use lava stone successfully should stay with what works for
you in your own environments. If it works, don't fix it. );-)

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

Old 28-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Tiziano

Michael Persiano wrote:
Hi Michael

Tiziano:

I have had many individuals bring me trees with root zone problems

related to the "fines" in lava stone-based soil
mixes.

The "fines" seem to create drainage problems.
rught in fact for yamadory some people of teh
Vesuvio region use *dirty lava* that is mived
with dust and so on and use in well drained
containers
otherwise has to be sifted exactly as Akadama

For this reason, I am not an advocate of the reddish lava

stone mixes that I have seen.
well in Italy and france as have some problems
with aka prices and imports , I personally
realize that aka even best quality. because of
our climate needs to be watered more often than
usual and has a tendency to brittle and become
dusty

I have not used or seen possolana, but I understand that

it is chestnut to gray in color, porous, and fast
draining. right
I use 4-5 mm grade and feel very happy as I
can rececle it after having washed and sterilized
http://www.agricola2000.it/
small pic on the right

This sounds like it might be a good component
for soil mixes.
well I appreciate a lot as coarse good
retenmtion /release and aeration of the soils and
in mix with sequoia bark is fine
best regards
Tiziano

THEO
Chiunque puo diventare con la pratica
Maestro
in Qualsiasi Cosa
A.B Dixit

http://groups.google.it/group/free.it.arte.bonsai
http://www.easybonsai.altervista.org/

Old 28-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Michel Bourgeois

Oups!

I have looked this morning in Bonsai Today no. 88 about river sans and I
understand than this is not river sand than I have but regular sand. So, it
is heavier. Is there a chance it will crush, because of the wait?

I hate being Canadian!!! I can't find any real river sand, pumice or haydite
in this big hole!!! (Sorry, I just took 2 coffees this morning... I think I
need 2 extras! Lol)

Example?: I will pay my cottonseed 18us$ and it will cost me 40us$
shipping!!!

Michel

Old 28-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Steven Peterson

Hi All,

I recently purchased an azalea, a japanese holly, and a chinese elm from nurseries. They are still in their nursery pots. I'm assuming that I shouldn't repot until spring, but what should I do with them until then? Should I plant them in my garden? If so, would it help to make a plastic tent to protect them for the coldest nights? I think I want the holly and azalea to thicken a bit, so planting may be best, but I may the elm I may want to pot in the spring. Will it survive in a shed over the winter?

Thanks,
Steve
Philadelphia, Pa