GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Winter storage (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/107811-%5Bibc%5D-winter-storage.html)

Barry Allen 08-10-2005 01:18 PM

[IBC] Winter storage

Hi All
I have 2 of this years Seedlings aprox 3 inches high e.g.
Mountain Ash/Apple (Grown from a pip)-both in 2 inch small plastic pots what
I would like to know is will these be ok in a cold green house over winter
or are they better off in larger pots outside
Many thanks
Barry (Leicestershire
England)

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 08-10-2005 01:29 PM

In a message dated 10/8/2005 8:19:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Hi All
I have 2 of this years Seedlings aprox 3 inches high e.g.
Mountain Ash/Apple (Grown from a pip)-both in 2 inch small plastic pots
what
I would like to know is will these be ok in a cold green house over winter
or are they better off in larger pots outside
Many thanks
Barry (Leicestershire
England)

I should probably stay out of this since I am in Florida but:
1. new growth may be damaged by temps below 0 C.
2. in that small a pot your stand the chance of root damage from
cold also
But;
3. if a larger pot has too much soil and stays too wet when the
plants are dormant, you stand a great chance of root rot.

So, I guess I would advise keeping them in small pots for the winter,
but above 0 C

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Kev Bailey 08-10-2005 07:32 PM

I agree with Billy. My maple seedlings spend their first winter under glass.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
N Wales, UK, Zone 9

MSN Messenger 7.5 is now out. Download it for FREE here.
http://messenger.msn.co.uk