GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Granite Grit (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/108001-re-%5Bibc%5D-granite-grit.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 14-10-2005 11:06 AM

[IBC] Granite Grit

In a message dated 10/14/2005 5:48:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Why is it important to include granite grit in a potting medium? If I
use turface, is there still a need for it?

I use a mix that includes three ingredients.
1. Something to retain moisture without getting soggy - Turface
2. Something organic - maybe to keep beneficial soil bacteria
alive - Composted Pine Bark
3. AND something to promote good drainage - pea gravel or granite
grit.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Steve Peterson 14-10-2005 11:36 AM

[IBC] Granite Grit

Billy on the Florida Space Coast said:
I use a mix that includes three ingredients.
1. Something to retain moisture without getting soggy -
Turface
2. Something organic - maybe to keep beneficial soil
bacteria
alive - Composted Pine Bark
3. AND something to promote good drainage - pea gravel or
granite
grit.

Steve asks:

Won't the Turface and screened organic stuff give you good drainage?
Does granite drain that much better than clay granules?

Thanks,
Steve
Philadelphia, Pa