Old 15-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Web Pages and Gallery

Before you ask . . .

Yes, we have a problem.

Yes, we're working on it.

It may be a while.

Sorry.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Steve Peterson

Default [IBC] Lime Sulfer

Is it possible to use lime sulfur to give a fairly young ficus the
bleached look of older trees? If so, how would I apply it?

Thanks,
Steve
Philadelphia, Pa

Old 16-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Steve Peterson wrote:

Is it possible to use lime sulfur to give a fairly young ficus the
bleached look of older trees? If so, how would I apply it?

Bleached deadwood is mostly a feature of conifers -- pines,
junipers, spruce, bald cypress and the like.

It is seldom used on deciduous trees, and almost never on
evergreens -- especially tropical evergreens such as Ficus.

It is never applied to bark or live wood.

So the answers are "no" and "you wouldn't."

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

Old 17-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Roger Snipes

Steve,

I assume you are after the look of an older ficus whose bark is somewhat
bleached from age. If you spray the tree with lime sulfur that is mixed at
the recommended rate per the label instructions it will tend to give the
bark the bleached look of an older ficus. I would test first to be sure
your tree doesn't react negatively to a lime sulfur spray. It may take more
that one application before the bleached look develops.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5-ish

Old 17-10-2005, 02:00 AM
Ian Burke

Actually lime sulphur is normally used diluted as a dormant spray on many
fruit trees and can be used on deciduous material in winter to slightly
whiten the bark. Make sure to check the label for dilution rate.

As for use on a ficus I really couldn't say what would be best, maybe you
could defoliate first, but that advice would have to come from someone who
knows about figs.

Cheers
Ian

Old 17-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Steven Peterson

Thanks, Roger.

I have to think about how I could test it. Should I try to spray a single branch?

Other than death, what sort of negative reaction should I look for?

Regards,
Steve

Old 17-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Roger Snipes

Spraying some of the solution onto an expendable branch would be a good way
to test. Another option would be to spray another ficus that would be
expendable in the event of a negative reaction.

Death of the plant would be the worst reaction, but one could possibly see
damage to the foliage, or the plant could drop leaves, but recover. I don't
know if there are any toxicity issues with ficus and lime sulfur dormant
spray or not; it may be totally OK. I would check the label to be sure that
ficus isn't mentioned as something not to spray. Maybe someone on the list
has had experience with spraying their ficus. Maybe Dr. Nina knows for sure
if there any issues with lime sulfur and ficus?

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5-ish

Old 17-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Jim Lewis

Roger Snipes wrote:

Maybe
Dr. Nina knows for sure if there any issues with lime sulfur and ficus?

I seem to recall that Dr. Nina doesn't DO Ficus. :-)

Old 17-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Nina

Default Lime Sulfer

I seem to recall that Dr. Nina doesn't DO Ficus. :-)

Jim Lewis -

Not true!!!! Surely you remember my mistletoe fig with the trunk that
won't thicken (F. deltoidea, grown from a cutting, now about 15 years
old, spindly but doing well), and my sacred Bo tree (F. religiosa). I
have a limited number of ratty tropicals which have to come inside for
winter. This year I bought a lotus, which is sitting in a tub on the
deck. Anybody wanting to tell me (offlist) what on earth to do with it
this winter will have my deepest gratitude.

I've never sprayed the figs with lime sulfur, so I have no idea how
they'd react. At the dosages used for plant protection, probably
nothing, although leaf-drop is possible. But I can't figure out how
spraying the tree would do anything except *encrust* the bark with
white crystals, which isn't much in the way of lightening it.

Nina.

Old 17-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Michael Persiano

Friends:

You can expect to see phototoxic results if you apply lime sulfur to a tree that has recently received an oil-based spray.

Also, do not spray Apricots with lime sulfur.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Peterson"

Old 17-10-2005, 09:35 PM
jim stone

This year I bought a lotus, which is
sitting in a tub on the
deck. Anybody wanting to tell me (offlist) what on
earth to do with it
this winter will have my deepest gratitude.

Hmmm upstate NY aren't you...

Do you own a hot-tub?

Jim Stone
Santa Fe, TX

Old 17-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Jim Lewis

Michael Persiano wrote:

Also, do not spray Apricots with lime sulfur.

You probably should extrapolate that to other members of the
genus Prunus -- peaches, plums, almonds, nectarines, etc.
While they may not be AS susceptible as apricots, they are a
very closely related and easily crossed group. So at least
be careful.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 17-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Jim Lewis

This year I bought a lotus, which is
sitting in a tub on thedeck. Anybody wanting to tell me (offlist) what on
earth to do with it this winter will have my deepest gratitude.

If you have the native American species (Nelumbo lutea) it
is hardy from zone 6 through 11, so it should be no problem.

The commonest Asian variety (N.nucifera) does zones 8-12.
It might do OK in an unheated garage for the winter.

Helpful Web pages sam2002 Texas 0 16-11-2005 01:22 PM
Aquascaping web pages wanted TKL Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 12-04-2004 08:04 PM
GUIA DE PAGES WEB ant ross Bonsai 0 07-08-2003 09:12 AM
Updated Web Pages Mark Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
re web pages John Rutz Ponds 11 01-04-2003 12:56 AM