Old 22-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Chinese elm wintering

In a message dated 10/22/2005 1:02:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Please remind us where you live and where you normally keep the tree.

Northern England, and i keep the tree outside in a sunny spot

If Elms are over watered they will drop leaves and keep trying to grow
new ones.

..
You might be right, but i didn't think i had over watered, i gave it water
about every 3 days or so.

Bonsai should be watered when dry, not on a schedule. In a cool, damp
climate and depending upon the soil, every three days might be too much.
The growing tips on Elm will droop when dry

If you have a sunny location indoors, with good air circulation, you can
over winter your tree there and then maybe next season (Fall 2006) you can
allow a normal dormant period.

So i keep it indoors because its started a new growing cycle and wont go
dormant for winter? It seems to have been in a growing period for a very long
time (since March or so) Is there any way i could force it into dormancy?

thanks for your help

Dan

You are in northern England and I am in Florida so I am not really qualified
to advise on the tree going dormant again or not.

I suppose you could put it back outside and see what happens. What is
your low at night?
My Chinese Elms stay out all winter and do lose their leaves. Well,
most do. Some cultivars do not ever lose their leaves.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Geoff Hobson

My Chinese Elms stayed outside all winter last, and were fine, They should
be perfectly hardy even in your neck of the woods, take a look at Bonsai
help web site there are other English growers there from the north of
England who may be able to advise more.
Geoff

writes:

[...]

**

chinese elm wintering M Bonsai 7 15-10-2006 02:40 PM
[IBC] Chinese elm wintering Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 22-10-2005 05:53 PM
Chinese elm wintering Dan Leach Bonsai 0 22-10-2005 03:21 PM
[IBC] Wintering (Was: [IBC] Chinese Elm...) Michael Persiano Bonsai 0 05-09-2003 11:22 AM
[IBC] Wintering (Was: [IBC] Chinese Elm...) Michael Persiano Bonsai 0 05-09-2003 11:22 AM