GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Defoliating My Schefflera (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/108356-re-%5Bibc%5D-defoliating-my-schefflera.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 23-10-2005 08:03 PM

[IBC] Defoliating My Schefflera

In a message dated 10/23/2005 2:32:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

However, nobody mentions the actual technique for defoliating a Schefflera
(do I take off the leaf, half the stem, the whole stem?), nor the best time
of year to do it, nor how long it will take for new leaves to come forth.

Given your geographic location you probably have the plant under lights
indoors almost all year, therefore seasons probably don't matter. You can
defoliate anytime.

As to technique, I would cut the stem leaving about 1/4 inch attached to
the plant. This little piece will be pushed off by the new growth.

Now where you remove the leaf you will not get another leaf, but the
beginnings of a new branch.

As soon as this new branch has two or three small leaves you will cut
the tip of the branch, that will halt the growth of the leaves.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++