Old 25-12-2005, 02:40 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Nullcode

Default Bonsai Base

Merry Christmas All!!!

I just got my second tree and this one has a nice mossy short grass all
over the soil, my other tree has a mash of weed looking things, tuffs of
something, mini shoots, twigs and what not. How do I get the nice moss
over it? would it be a case of buying some seeds or can I do anything
using my existing items?

Also, Ive noticed that when I aquire a new tree, several of the leaves
have been cut in half with what appears to be scissors, Ive seen this on
alot of retail trees, is there a reason for it? Does it stop the leaf
getting too big or is the pruner just gung ho?

Thx

--
Nullcode
"Suffering is a result of desire"
Old 14-01-2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Beano

Hi,

When I was younger, dad and I used to get moss that grew on the hard
wood in our garden and put it on the soil of the bonsai trees. Some of
it would take, but some would die off. If you want some moss on the
other tree, perhaps take a small patch from the tree that has some
(like when you buy turf for a new house) and plant it on the weeded
bonsai.

About the leaves - I was always told that cutting certain leaves in
half was a way of training a tree to grow small leaves. I think it
only works in some trees, as others will always have big leaves.

Old 15-01-2006, 04:10 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Nullcode

Beano wrote:
Hi,

When I was younger, dad and I used to get moss that grew on the hard
wood in our garden and put it on the soil of the bonsai trees. Some of
it would take, but some would die off. If you want some moss on the
other tree, perhaps take a small patch from the tree that has some
(like when you buy turf for a new house) and plant it on the weeded
bonsai.

About the leaves - I was always told that cutting certain leaves in
half was a way of training a tree to grow small leaves. I think it
only works in some trees, as others will always have big leaves.

Thats great, thanks for the reply
My second tree recently lost all its leaves but after some finger
magic the other day it has sprouted leaves all over and appears to be
coming back stronger than ever, wh00t

Old 16-01-2006, 09:51 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Spirittroll

Moss doesn't grow from seeds but from spores, so you might be hard
pressed to get moss spores.

The best method I have is to gather a bit from the outdoors and in this
regard the best ones are the type that grow in hot sunny and dry areas.
Yes it seems odd to find moss like that but look around.

I lived next to a field that was pretty water logged in the spring but
would have these tough mosses year round. in summer this field was very
dry. They seem to be able to withstand heat and drying out. I think
these mosses go dormant under extreme conditions. They can get crunchy
and dry but return again when the rains come. In a bonsai dish with
regular water they stay nice and green and spread.

I kept a stash of these in a section of my garden and harvested for the
bonsai as need.