Old 27-01-2006, 11:06 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Philip Meech

Default Buffalo Bonsai

What are some other possibilities for Bonsai beside Juniper? This is a
severe winter climate, and they have to stay in a cool back hall
greenhouse window during the winter months. Is there a mail order
catalog that I should know about?
In San Francisco I could leave them on the roof, but here the Juniper
and the Pear Tree have been the only ones to flourish. Thanks for your help.
Old 28-01-2006, 11:53 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
just me

Philip Meech mentioned in passing :

What are some other possibilities for Bonsai beside Juniper? This is a
severe winter climate, and they have to stay in a cool back hall
greenhouse window during the winter months. Is there a mail order
catalog that I should know about?
In San Francisco I could leave them on the roof, but here the Juniper
and the Pear Tree have been the only ones to flourish. Thanks for
your help.

Have you considered some of the decidious trees? We've got a lovely young
alaskan maple going and it is just beautiful. We're in Vermont and bring
ours in in the winter, take them outside for the warmer weather.

-Aula

--
Insanity is forgetting to believe a few lies.

Old 30-01-2006, 02:02 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Philip Meech

just me wrote:
Philip Meech mentioned in passing :

What are some other possibilities for Bonsai beside Juniper? This is a
severe winter climate, and they have to stay in a cool back hall
greenhouse window during the winter months. Is there a mail order
catalog that I should know about?
In San Francisco I could leave them on the roof, but here the Juniper
and the Pear Tree have been the only ones to flourish. Thanks for
your help.

Have you considered some of the decidious trees? We've got a lovely young
alaskan maple going and it is just beautiful. We're in Vermont and bring
ours in in the winter, take them outside for the warmer weather.

-Aula

Great Idea! I didn't know there was an Alaskan Maple. Thanks.
Old 30-01-2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Philip Meech

Terence Lynock wrote:

Some species of Pine wikll stand temperatures down to -20C and also the
odd variety of Acer and I believe at least one of the Larch family, best
bet is look at species fromclimates you know hit -20C every year like
some of the Pines etc from the Yukon and up north around the Arctic
circle, even then it may be a few years before they are actually hardy
enough to cope with it,

regards, Terry

Great Idea. Thanks, Terry.